Thread: PF Usage

Something I always wondered about...On my Windows XP machine Task Manager has a meter for PF usage. I take it this stands for Page File usage. Right now while connected to the internet it says 216. What is PF usage and what is a good level to be at. Just thought I would ask. Thanks.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The page file is what Win98 called the swap file.
    Basically it is virtual memory. If you let windows set the size itself it chooses a percentage of available disk space.
    You can set a static amount. Which is better is part of a long going debate. Personally I prefer windows to do the work.

I get it now. Thanks for that reply.

rj

Default PF USAGE

Quote Originally Posted by whoozhe
    The page file is what Win98 called the swap file.
    Basically it is virtual memory. If you let windows set the size itself it chooses a percentage of available disk space.
    You can set a static amount. Which is better is part of a long going debate. Personally I prefer windows to do the work.
    I have 512mb ram and i am running 146mb of usage while running only two programs. Does this sound resonable?

rj

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

How much virtual memory is actually used by what is reserved depends on what tasks you are doing. Considering that an OS like XP can use up to 150 meg of memory, add a few backgorund programs and you are left with maybe half your physical memory.
    Run a few programs or edit some large video and virtual memory comes into play.
    Do the math and see how much virtual memory you may need.
    A rule of thumb is match virtual with physical as a minimum. This means you need around 10 times the amount of free HD space as you have memory. eg. 512 of physical memory never go below 5 gig of free HD space.
    I prefer to stick to around 15 times.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.