Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i had windows98 SE Upgrade in my computer and after I installed the Upgrade I put Nortons Antivirus 2002 in and I uninstalled Windows 98 SE Upgrade to put Windows ME in and forgot to Uninstall Nortons before I took out windows 98 Upgrade now after I have Windows ME I had to reinstall Norton's Antivirus and after it boots up it stops and say's the Autoprotect is not installed and the Email protect is not installed eitherI even Unistalled Nortons from my computer and even got the program Nortons have to Uninstall it and got all traces out of my registry and folders then tried reinstall it and the message keeps comming back.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

One I would have stuck with 98SE.. ME is a dud.
    As for Norton throw it in the bin where it belongs.
    If you want simple, effective and free virus protection try AVG from http://www.grisof.com

I need to uninstall Norton 2000 V 6.0 in order to install a new virus scan program, however I have tried everything except throwing the computer in the river and still cannot get rid of it. Same with a McAfee for Win '95. To ask Norton I have to spend $ 30. - McAfee sent me directions, but they did not work. Uninstall is locked on one of them and Add/Remove didn't work on either. HELP PLEASE MaryGwenR@aol.com

Norton's has a file you can Download to Uninstall Norton's if Add and Remove does not get rid of it and its free

But for Mcfees not sure never used it before

Thanks, but how do I get the information from Norton? Their website is not at all helpful and I hate to pay the $ 30.00 just to find out how to uninstall. Thanks so much for your prompt response--I sincerely appreciate it.

Norton and McAfee anti virus are the best sellers for one reason. They come bundled with most new computers. Like Outlook Express most people use whatever they have on their system when fist set up. it does not make those products the best. In fact the opposite applies. Norton and McAfee are owned by the same company.
    I recommend AVG ant virus because it is free and regularly updated plus it does not crash systems or gobble up resources. For Excellent pay for protection (including a firewall) PC-Cillin is hard to beat.

McAfee and Norton anti-virus companies are not owned by the same company. McAfee is owned by Network Associates, http://www.nai.com; and Norton is owned by Symantec, http://www.symantec.com. As I have said before, whatever program works for you and pleases you, then use it. Whatever floats your boat is what I say.

Noron is a pain because you ahve to pay for virus updates. mc. afee deleted some files that it shouldnt of... I suggest avg from grisoft.com all free
    -Alex
    Be sure to check out my forum at http://johnscompany.net/forum/forum its not as good as help2go but its a little fun place to get advice on computers and talk about other stuf 2.

Symantic own NAI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast