My OS is Win2000 and I have folder options set to show thumbnails instead of icons. This was working until about 2 weeks ago when I went searching through the hacker sites for a copy of WinFax Pro. Now only bmps will show in the thumbnails. No jpgs, gifs, tifs, etc. will show.

No viruses detected, defrag successful, folder file properties seem correct, file association preferences in PaintShop Pro and PhotoImpact have both been switched back and forth several times to no avail.

Can anyone figure out what's going on and how to correct the problem?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

LiL

TSK TSK, illegal actions beget nasty consequences, I guess.

Thanks so much for your input, qualserve. Is there anyone else out there that would like to help rather than just take the opportunity to slap my hand? I'm sure no one else on this forum has *ever* gone to a hacker site.

LiL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lexiinlace on 2003-01-17 11:30 ]</font>

P.S.

I don't believe I mentioned that I didn't download anything from the hacker sites. Just visited. Does curiosity also carry dire consequences?

LiL

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

This could be a simple association problem.
    When you click on any other graphic file (jpg,gif etc) what program opens for viewing.
    In Windows Explorer clcik Tools>Folder Options
    See http://www.computer-cursus.nl/ict_su...s2K/folder.htm
    for details

Thanks for getting involved, whoozhe. I, also, thought it might be a file association problem and checked Folder Options. Since JFIF files were associated with Paint (and, apparently, wanted to open in IE) rather than PaintShop Pro or PhotoImpact, I changed the association. It didn't seem to help.

Currently, I have all my graphics files associated with PaintShop Pro (the folder icons are for PSP rather than Paint) and when I open a gif, tif, jpg, etc. it opens in the correct program. So do the bmps.

I also went to Microsoft's Community Newsgroups and found a user there who encountered a similar problem after he'd installed MS's most recent Critical Updates and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

So far, nothing I've tried seems to be working. I even went to MS Updates and got all their *new* Critical Updates, thinking they might have recognized the problem and patched it. Still no luck.

At this point, I'm open to any suggestion short of reformatting my computer and starting from scratch.

LiL

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!

It was in the Registry. When I installed MS's Critical Updates they overwrote the reg entries for my graphics applications... therefore not allowing the associations to be recognized by Windows Explorer.

I ran into someone on MS's Community Newsgroups who was having a similar problem and he forwarded the "fix.reg" file he'd gotten from MS tech support to me. It worked!

So the problem was not a complication caused by visiting those naughty, nasty hacker sites, it was caused by none other than our beloved and trusted benefactor, Microsoft!

If anyone is having a similar problem I'll be happy to forward the "fix.reg" file to you to see if it helps.

Thanks, all, for your help and suggestions.

LiL