Thread: Defrag problem

Tiberous

Default Defrag problem

Hello again,

Whenever i defrag c drive (not a problem on d drive) after a few minutes, it says something like 'system contents have changed, restarting' and off it goes again...eventually it gets through defragging, but sometimes its still goin in the morning having started it the night b4. I close down all the programs in the task bar, i have no screen saver going, so i dont know what is restarting it all the time. Can i defrag in safe mode where nothing is loaded on startup?
    thanks again for your help,
    Tiberius

defrag in safe mode OR hit alt-ctrl-del and end task everything except for systray and explorer then try again.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

cdm

Make you do a good Diskcleanup on C: drive and delete all temporary internet files also.
    If it is to be me, it is to be me.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Whe Windows performs the defrag process it must have a system that is not altering.
    If there is some other activity happining on the drive being defragged process must start all over again.
    programs such as Anti Virus programs run in the background and make alterations to the hard drive. MichT's suggest to defrag in Safe Mode is the best method. This is because in safe made those pesky programs that usually run in the background are not loaded and therefore cannot interupt the defrag process.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.