Thread: windows xp

Default windows xp

I live in a small community in Spain and am the elected "expert" for computer troubleshooting. 8O Although I use win98 and happy with the o.s. most of my buddies have win xp, both home and pro.
    So far I have noticed that all of them purchased their pc's from reputable superstores and none of them has what I would call a retail copy of the installation discs, only some recovery disc or companion. All have had some problem or another and asked me to sort it out for them, but have been unable to do so because at some stage or another, the solution involves inserting the instalation disc and booting from the cd rom.
    My questions to you experts are 1. If I downloaded the set of boot up floppies (6?) could I use these in place of the installation cd? 2. Where does this magical recovery console live? 3. Do all copies of installation discs prior to SP1 include this recovery console? 4.Is this console different for the home ed. and the pro ed.? 5. If I could find one person who possessed the authentic retail disc, could I copy this to use in order to access the recovery console.
    I think I will stick to my old o.s. until the next xp is released hopefully sorting out all these teething problems. But your input as always would be much appreciated.

WOW!!!!! lots of questions.

First of all, is there a problem???????. If so, what is it. My first impression is that you are seeking a "free copy"of XP maybe to try to crack the code. If so you need to look some place else.

I have 3 PC running Win XP, 1 was preload with XP, the other 2, I spent sbout $100.00 USD for the home verison each.On XP vs Home XP?, can't tell you, for Ihave XP home.

Were does the Recovery live? go to "programs>accessories>system tools> System retore. Pick a point were everything work ok (date) and follow the directions.

If your freinds chose not to save the instructions/ CD's that came with there new PC could very well be out of luck. The system disks SHOULD be able to do everything that they need to do if there is a problem

Cheers

Basenmentgeek

The above reply was from the basementgeek, not a Guest

Really would help IF I could spell my screen name correctly

Of course there is a problem, in fact several, and if I wanted a free copy to download, I know where to go to get one thanks.
    However the current problem arose from exactly what you suggest ie go to system recovery and revert back to another time in the past. It told me it could not do it, and on restarting the pc I was presented with a black screen telling me that "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.

<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please reinstall a copy of the above file."
    To remedy this, I now have to insert my installation disc..........!!! :cry:

Boot the computer and keep tapping the F8 key as it boots. (It may be be the Control key, depending on the computer) You will get a screen giving you recovery and startup options. Select the one that says something like Start Up Using the settings from the last successful start up. That should get you up and running.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

To keep the cost down on systems manufacturers choose to use OEM versions of software including Windows XP.
    These OEM programs are ususally stored in a hidden partition on the computer's hard drive.
    The recovery disks that come with these systems access this hidden partition when necessary. Unfortunatey creating a recovery disk from another source will not work.
    Some makers allow a user to backup this hidden partition to a cd but the Operating System part will be encrypted. The decrypting utitlity is also backed up in the same process.
    Some manufacturers restrict the recovery process so you can only restore the system to it's original state, thus loosing anything added.
    Some, the thoughtful ones, allow access to Xp's Recovery Console. The recover Console is from where most repairs to the operating system are performed.
    Now if you decided to upgrade to XP there is not legal reason you could not use your XP CD to repair other systems seeing as each has a licenced copy.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

bootable floppies would work if meant for booting (duh) howeverone problem you might have is that once boot files on one floppi is used it may not know to go to the next one which mayb e cause a blue screen. Hey I just realized something IBM was called bigblue and there is the blue screen. Was IBM the first company to develop it?
    -Alex
    Be sure to check out my forum at http://johnscompany.net/forum/forum its not as good as help2go but its a little fun place to get advice on computers and talk about other stuf 2.

How embarrassing! After trying every key on the keyboard to get into bios without success, I checked the connections at the rear of the computer and discovered the keyboard ps2 connector was loose. Restarted and straight back into winxp without having to delve into the unknown..... Still I have learnt a lot about the recovery console, although still not tried it in anger.....no doubt I will soon though. Thanks all for your help

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Isn't it amazing that we mere humans can solve some of the most complex problems with ease yet the simple ones take us into places we would never normally venture.
    A philosophy Microsoft adapts extremely well.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.