Thread: System crash

Default System crash

Recently i have noticed that my pc crashes a few times a day. I was wondering if there was a program out there to help me find out what's causing this.
    I initially thought it was heat but installing a case fan hasn't helped, i then removed all spyware on the system and downloaded a RAM recover program none of which has helped. . I am presently using Windows ME (Yes i know it's no good but I can't afford to change it right now). Any helping in making the system more stable would be appreciated.If you need any more info just post a request.

cdm

There are many factors that cause computers to crash = but for several times a day it could be hard disk failure - when was the last time you formatted your hard drive. Could be a failing motherboard or powersupply. When your system crashes are there any error messages or blue screens followed?
    If it is to be me, it is to be me.

There are usually blue screen messages but i don't know what they mean. Other times it just locks up

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Take not of the blue screen message and post it here. It will give us vital clues.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I get a blue screen with codes like Error: 0D : 0246: 015F47FB

OR
    ERRROR: 0D : OEB5: 015F268B

cdm

uhmm, when fatal exception errors begin with OD (general protection fault) - they usually pertain to a program has been corrupted in MEMORY usually resulting in immediate termination of the application.
    I'm leaning more towards it being a software problem than adding more memory to your system. Try formatting your drive with WinME or better yet with Win98 SE. I recommend Win98 over WinMe anyday. If problems still consist adding some more ram to your pc might help.
    If it is to be me, it is to be me.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

As stated this is a software problem.
    Chances are it is a program that starts up at some given time.
    This could be anything from Auto updating of some program (Norton's Anti Virus for example) or spyware. Uninstall Norton and make sure you get rid of the Auto NAV.
    I would replace NAV with AVG anti virus from www.grisoft.com.
    Also download and run Adaware from www.lavasoftusa.com.
    If this solves the problem then all is well.
    If not you may have to dive deeper or take the suggest road and reformat.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.