Thread: Registry

cdm

Default Registry

hi guys,
    I got a friend who has a challenging problem. His computer had been hacked and got viruses and trojans. His tech formatted his computer( P 233 Win98 14g hdd 64mb ram) and reinstalled Win98 and his programs. But after that he can't log onto the internet. We checked all internet settings (we called his ISP 3 times) his ethernet card is working correctly - no errors and all updated drivers, we checked cable, resetted the modem and reseated ethernet card. I tried to ping to the IP address of the ISP provider and taht works, BUT it won't ping to the ISP web address.
    Came to the conclusion that somehow someway that his registry must still be corrupted. So now even after a formatt what can i do get him logged on the internet. I tried a registry cleaner but no difference. Any suggestions?
    If it is to be me, it is to be me.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

When reformatting and reinstalling Windows I would have removed the ethernet card first.
    Open IE and type 192.168.0.1 in the Address area.
    What do you see?
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

cdm

i tried typing the address - it says the usual "Internet Explorer can not open this page"
    If it is to be me, it is to be me.

Sounds like a DNS problem.

Check in start>settings>control panel>network>

right click the LAN, then choose properties

General tab, Scroll down until you see 'Internet Protocol' - double click it

Select 'obtain DNS server address automatically' - if it is already set to do this then enter 'Use the following DNS server addresses' and input these two

Is his router a DHCP server?

How many devices are on his network ? is there possibely an IP address clash?

open a DOS shell and type 'ipconfig /all' without the quotes - what do you see?
    Joe -