tcd333

Default virtual memory/AOL problem

When I try to load AOL 8.0, after about 5 min. I get not enough virtual memory messages. During the loading attempt my RAM meter is pegged w/.5 meg of 384 megs used.
    AOL tech support says it's a virtual memory problem between me & Microsoft. (I've increased the VM to 4 gig).
    Any help with this would be apprediated.
    Thanks

Right click my computer>select properties>go to advanced tab>click performance options button>click 'applications>then click the change button

In the new window is where you change your paging file (virtual memory) make sure the initial size and maximum size fields are the same as the 'recommended' amount >click ok
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

aol is a con job
    -Alex
    Be sure to check out my forum at http://johnscompany.net/forum/forum its not as good as help2go but its a little fun place to get advice on computers and talk about other stuf 2.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The rule is leave 25-30% of Hard drive space free at all times.
    As for getting 4 gig virtual memory you need a fair amount of free HD space to achieve that.
    It is best to allow Windows to choose the VM size. Forget about all the geeks who say otherwise. I have yet to see any performance increase by setting lmits.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

like whoozhe said you should keep as much of your har drive free. If it is over 90%used you will se a dramatic change in perfomance, also dont forget to defragment it often
    -Alex
    Be sure to check out my forum at http://johnscompany.net/forum/forum its not as good as help2go but its a little fun place to get advice on computers and talk about other stuf 2.