cormac262

Default strange real-time clock issue

I am new to this forum, and after searching around I didn't find anything that addresses this problem I am having. I would appreciate any help you could provide.

My system:
    - custom built (home-made) Pentium CIII system
    - running Windows 2000 professional

The problem:
    The date/time appears to be "stuck". But not at time "0" like a dead battery would result. I can manually set the date and time, and while I am using the computer, the time will continue to progress. But once I power down, the change in time doesn't appear to be updated in the non-volatile RAM. So the next time I power up, the date/time will start over at the last date/time I set manually.
    I have replaced the battery, but since time isn't continually reset back to "0" (Jan. 1980), I don't believe this is the problem. It also doesn't seem to be that the non-vol RAM has used up its writes as I can manually change the date/time and it updates correctly (will start over at that date/time the next time I power up).

Any clues ? If this is a hardware issue, is this something that is easily remedied ? This problem only appeared after a couple months of using the computer.

It is not a huge issue - I tend to update the date/time in big jumps. But it is annoying (I get a lot of files with the same date/time).

Default ihhhhhhhhhhh

You might want to try deleting your temp files for you it will be in two places
    c:\WINNT\temp
    c:\documents and settings\yourusername\temp
    -Alex
    Be sure to check out my forum at http://johnscompany.net/forum/forum its not as good as help2go but its a little fun place to get advice on computers and talk about other stuf 2.

Try flashing the bios? or maybe even checking out the motherboard/bios website and see if this may be an issue.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Was once called the Millinium bug and is a BIOS chip issue.
    Dates are based on the day number starting from a specific date. Older chips could only read up to certain day number. No one thought anyone would be using these chips beyond that.
    Some bios chips can be upgraded by software, called flashing. Some older ones can't. If you are unsure which one you have open up your computer box and look for the label on the bios chip.
    Try changing your date to read mm/dd/yy not mm/dd/yyyy
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

cormac262

It would appear that the removal of the file (only one) in the WINNT\Temp directory fixed this (I won't ask why ). My date and time are updating and resuming on reboots again.

Thanks for all the help !