olelucky

Default slow communication with ISP on dialup

Thanks in advance, anyone who has some advice. I have a dialup acct with a company and about once every 10 minutes my computer just slows down and stops doing anything...loading pages, whatever. I really noticed it bc I was trying to type in a web address during on of these lulls. I type pretty fast, but the individual letters were showing up on the address line about one every second. So...I guess it could be my computer, but it only happens when I am connected with the ISP. It's an older machine (400 mghz) running Windows 98.

Thanks

If anything do some disk maintenance. Disk maintenance being scandisk/defrag/delete temporary internet files and cookies and temp files/virus scan/spyware scan. Also maybe consider getting more ram...
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Have you Microsoft Office installed?
    When MS Office is isntalled it adds, be default, Findfast, a utitlity that indexes your drive so searches are faster. Problem is the horror gobbles up resources while it reindexes bringing a system to a near standstill.
    Get rid of it as it serves no real purpose nor does it make searches any faster.
    You can remove it via the Office set up CD or uncheck it it msconfig (Start/Run type msconfig then click OK) Uncheck the Findfast line then reboot.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

When MS Office is isntalled it adds, be default, Findfast, a utitlity that indexes your drive so searches are faster. Problem is the horror gobbles up resources while it reindexes bringing a system to a near standstill.
    Get rid of it as it serves no real purpose nor does it make searches any faster.
    You can remove it via the Office set up CD or uncheck it it msconfig (Start/Run type msconfig then click OK) Uncheck the Findfast line then reboot.

Gawd I'm repeating myself. Must need a holiday.

what is your ISP?
    -Alex
    Be sure to check out my forum at http://johnscompany.net/forum/forum its not as good as help2go but its a little fun place to get advice on computers and talk about other stuf 2.

ISP is 'Internet Service Provider'
    Joe -

what I meant was what (or who) is his internet service provider
    -Alex
    Be sure to check out my forum at http://johnscompany.net/forum/forum its not as good as help2go but its a little fun place to get advice on computers and talk about other stuf 2.