dm2

Default closing down the computer

Hello,

I have been having a problem when I close down my computer at the end of the day.

I usually go to Start>Shut Down> and then I get three options. These are "Shut down the computer?", "Restart the computer?", or "Close all programs and log on as a different user?".

I usually go to "Shut down the computer?", when I do this the icons gradually disappear from my desk top until the screen is blue, and after a short wait a grey button marked "Restart" appears on the screen, which I click on, and then turn off the computer.

But for the last couple of weeks the screen has gone blue but no button has appeared which has meant I had to turn the power off.

I tried going to "Restart the computer?" instead of "Shut down the computer?" but exactly the same thing happened, and there was no grey button.

The I went to "Close all programs and log on as a different user?", but this time the screen went a darker blue with some white text at the top of the screen. The text said something like "Fatal Error, beginning physical memory dump. Dump completed". And then nothing happened so I had to turn off the power.

I was wondering why I have suddenly started having these problems, as I have not done anything different to usual. Also could I damage the computer by turning off the power before it has closed down properly? And what can I do to make the computer close down as it used to?

Regards

DM

you could fry you ram or delete your data if you restart it by presing the button. Fortunately the marvels of modern technology have safeguards against it. It sound like you have a serious os problem. I suggest reinstalling the os and seeing how that goes.
    -Alex
    Be sure to check out my forum at http://johnscompany.net/forum/forum its not as good as help2go but its a little fun place to get advice on computers and talk about other stuf 2.

What is os and how do I reinstall it?

dm

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Most shytdown problems occur because of misbehaving drivers and/or software.
    Spyware is generally the main software related problem maker.
    Download Adaware or Spybot from just about any download site. Run either and be amazed on just how much junk is on your system
    Other culprits are Anti Virus software, Real Player and a host of other addons.
    If cleaning the drive of spy and ads failt to fix the problem then try the following.
    Before shutting down go to the task bar and in the system's tray (Next to the clock) close everything.
    Or press Ctrl Alt Del and shut down everything except Explorer and systray.
    Now do the Turn Off computer thing.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Hi,

I tried running, then uninstalling SpyBot and AdAware, and also uninstalled Pop-up Stopper. But the computer still doesn't close down the way it used to.

I went to ctrl+alt+delete and went to Task List, and began closing down things under processes but I got a warning that this could damage the computer.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?

DM

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Ignore the warning. All that means is that some programs might not run during the current session, but once you restart the computer everthing will return to normal.
    Shutdown problems is one thing Microsoft has been failing to conquer since Win95.
    A quick fix for Win98/ME is by disabling the Fast Shutdown feature
    With XP it is a little more involved.
    Go to the Advance tab of System Properties, clicking on the StartUp and Recovery Settings tab and unticking the Automatically restart option. Doing this may later let you see an error message that will give you a clue to the shutdown problem.
    If you are using a Packet Writing software like Easy CD Creator under XP then update the drivers from www.roxio.com. (Also see Microsoft Knowledgebase article 311806)
    Another cause can be a corrupted shutdown sound.
    For more info on shutdown problems have a read of James Elshman's article at http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Member Help2Go Moderator

If this is windows 2000 professional read this..

The ExitWindowsEx() Function May Not Log Off the User or Shut Down the Computer If the Computer is Locked

If this is windows XP close down some applications first that are in your system tray (icons near computer clock). Then pushing the shutdown button. Also, try booting into safe mode. And if you are able to shutdown normally in safe mode then there is something causing this "hiccup". Funny thing is...i had this problem also with windows XP and it seemed as though AIM was the problem. I uninstalled AIM and all was good until the girlfriend decided on installing it again. So then I ran the SFC (system file checker) and it fixed a couple of .dll's that were "damaged". Note to you though, if you have any service packs or hotfixes installed for your Operating System and you use the SFC. It is suggested that you reinstall them. Including Internet Explorer updates..

to run the sfc in Windows 2000 or XP go to start menu, click run, type in "SFC /scannow" no quotes. and there is a space... SFC<space>/scannow This will start the scanning process.....