Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transfer data to new HD

Gateway PC 1.2 Celeron 256 meg, 20 gig w/ WIN XP home.

Just bought a new Western Digital 120gig HD and have it install as “Slave” by way of cable select. Primary HD is a 20 gig Seagate, again as cable select. The Seagate is the original HD and was set up on CS.

I have tried WD Data Life Guard tools to transfer data/OP/etc on the primary HD to the slave, with no luck. I have tried setting the primary to Master and the new to slave, not using the Cable select, the transfer of data always stops at 97%. The last attempt (3rd) I went back to the CS and switched the cable to a new one, and still never more the 97% and then the program stops transferring.

I ended up just formatting the new HD and the PC recognizes it OK and have been moving data manually, but there has to an be an easier way, plus I don’t think I can transfer my XP OP this way.

I have contacted WD support, but no real help, they basically wanted me to do what I have already done.

Anybody know of a program(cheap/free) that will transfer everything, OP/etc, to my new HD?

Thanks

Cheers

Member Help2Go Moderator

Well there is a program out there...I want to say it's name is Ghost files but please don't quote me on it. It is like Norton Ghost but better because it's FREE! :-D You could try and use that. I think it's excellent! I will do some searching again for the link. I used to have it on this computer and could upload it if i rememer where i saved it to

Dear Partie...

Appreicate any info that you find.

Cheers

Member Help2Go Moderator

Ok so I couldn't remember the software correctly. It's not like Norton Ghost. What it is is basically Software RAID. If you'd like you could still check it out and I finally found it on my computer lol.

http://www.lowrieweb.com/products.htm *click*

If you are intending to backup, including your operating system, to your 2nd hard drive, I recommend Copy Commander from VCom. You do not have to install anything (such as Norton Ghost) on your system. Install your new drive as Slave on the main drive IDE, set your bios to boot from CD, insert the Copy Commander CD, shut down, reboot and Copy Commander guides you through the "cloning" process. I have cloned all the main drives in my computers, removed the slaved clone and stored them for instant backup, OS and all!!

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The facts are sometimes Ghost works sometime it doesn't.
    Use the opportunity to have a fresh start.
    Back up the data and reformat and install windows, applications then data.
    You will end up with a happier system purged from any lingering bad habits.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Thanks for the opinion Whoozhe, really thinking about the same thing, but a little afraid of screwing up the PC.

Will make the new HD the primary drive, diconnect and leave in place the orginial HD and hopefully the systems disk that came with the PC will do the trick, but if not still got the old one.

Cheers

I need the same thing -- move everything from an old PC to a newer one. I do not understand absolutely everything you guys have said because I'm just an end user, but I found this article that may help others who come across the discussion here, as I did while Googling for a solution. This article discusses a free method and I think it also addresses the problem basementgeek was having -- the 97% problem. Here you are, everyone: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NewSid.html. Hope it answers.

Your link isn't working, getting a 404 error.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast