Default PC133 and PC100???

Hi, I'm trying to upgrade the memory on my computer. I bought a "512 SDRAM PC133" but I think that my computer supports "PC100" what could happen if I used the "PC133"?

cdm

PC100 SDRAM is slightly slower than the PC133 version.
    You can add both types to the same computer; however the machine will default to the speed of the slowest RAM installed. If you dump your PC100 RAM and replace it with PC133 you can take advantage of the faster technology.
    If it is to be me, it is to be me.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Go to http://www.freshdevices.com and download fresh diagnosis. This will give you all the information about your system so you can make the right choices.
    As for memory if all the memory is matching it will default to the lowest bus speed. This may work then, depending on the mother board it may cause some random errors.
    The same applies using two different memory sticks.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default PC133 and PC100???

Thanx for all the help . But i'm confused about how to install the memory. On my motherboard there are 2 slots and they both have memory in them or "DIMM modules" not quite sure what the proper name is. Anyway, I'm confused about which one I should remove or should I be removing anything?

Default NOT all PC133 will run in PC100 systems

PNY recently released some PC133 that will NOT work in PC100 systems. Thanks to an alert customer service guy at CompUSA, I avoided the problem. Reading the carton verified his advice.
    OK, now if you are sure your PC133 will also run in PC100 systems, undo the white latches as each end of your memory sticks and the memory should remove easily. Remove both of the sticks. Looking at the markings on the motherboard, determine the lower numbered memory slot. Generally, it is the slot closest to the CPU. Carefully insert the stick in the slot, pressing each end firmly until the white latches pop closed. It is recommended you place something under the mother board for support. I use a piece of mouse pad. Before replacing the second stick, reboot your system, if all is well, insert the stick which came from the lower numbered slot and reboot. If you cannot boot, shut down, replace the original RAM.