Default re:black screen w/blinking cursor

my husband was deleting files the other day. well when i turned on the computer the next day all that it would show was a black screen with a blinking cursor in the far left corner. i am unable to type anything so i hit ctrl alt del and it then shows a screen with 5 options
    1 normal
    2 safe mode
    3 ?
    4 set by set config
    5 ?
    so I hit 1 and it says that it was unable to locate the device i installed i hit okay and it goes to my desktop but its blurry so i change the colors to 257 bit and it tells me i need a display driver? so i tried to do a system recovery and it did the same thing all over again even after i chose a different option. i'd very much appreciate it if anyone knows what is wrong with my computer

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You have left out one important piece of information What Operating System are you using? Windows 98/ME/2000 or XP.
    How you go about fixing this will depend on the OS.
    Also lock you husband away from the computer.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

sorry, i have windows millineum and some other info.
    128 megabytes
    80.0 Gd
    1.2 gigs

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

It may mean that some of the files deleted were in fact system or essential files.
    The fact that you can access the Startup menu (The 4 menu items you listed) shows that at least the bios system is working.
    You can first try the step by step mode.
    This will take you through a process where you need to answer Y or No for each device. driver etc being loaded at startup. Answer Yes for each and take note of each one. if one fails then you have found the culprit.
    You can then repeat the process but shoose safe Mode and repair the problem.
    Alternative you can try and boot up using a Windows Start Up disk (Any one made on any Win98/me system will work)

If you see an A; prompt then you can reinstall windows from the CD. Oh the Start Up disk will rename your CD drive to Drive E.

If all fails then I can assume the bios is damaged. Time to visit a technician.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.