Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jimbo101200

Default can anybody help me please? (Win ME )

I am running a Packard Bell icon1250 with 256 meg RAM and a Celeron 700 mhz CPU, I've fitted a Western Digital (WD200EB00BHF0) hard drive as a slave drive, (I needed more space) and now my comp. is really slow, 7 mins plus to reboot as opposed to just over a minute, everything takes an age to open . I followed the instructions with the drive carefully, if anyone can tell me what I need to do to get my performance back I will be most grateful. If it's easier to e-mail you can reach me at :- jimbo1012003@yahoo.com

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

jimbo,

At what point in the bootup is it showing signs of being slow? Is it after the POST screens (where the PC is detecting your hardware), or is it when Windows is loading.

To troubleshoot this, I would first disconnect your new slave drive. If the PC starts acting normally, then you know it is a problem with the drive. However, if the PC is still slow after removing the hard drive, you have another problem on your hands. Maybe you accidentally disconnected something while installing the drive? Try re-seating your RAM chips into their slots. If that doesn't work, try disconnecting and reconnecting all of the cables.

If you determine it was the drive's fault, check the jumper settings on the drive itself and make sure they are correct. Set it explicitly to slave, not cable-select. Also, try different IDE cables, or plug it into the secondary IDE port.

Troubleshooting something like this is difficult, and can be time consuming But sometimes it turns out that something just wasn't plugged in all the way...

Hope this helps!
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Check the power supply. I have seen Packard Bell (NEC) systems with 175 watt power supplies. To run several drives you really need 300 watts.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

jimbo101200

Thanks for your help guys, firstly, yes It's back up to speed with the 2nd HD disabled OSC....Whooshe, the power supply is 145 watt.
    But here's something to ponder on.....I installed PB ActiveDoc and had a read, I quote..."For best results connect additional HD (drive 2 ) as the first drive cabled to Seondary IDE connector. Drive 2 becomes Secondary Master and CD Rom drive becomes Secondary Slave (change jumper settings)."
    Now I'm a little bit nervous about trying this, does it sound feasible?, will it work set up in this way, I don't want to blow anything up, any comments??

jimbo101200

forgot to say, I've got a Goldstar CD/RW fitted, will it be affected??

Setting the drives up that way might just fix the problem. It won't hurt your pc if you try it.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Hard drives need the most grunt. CD-RW or DVD burners come next followed by DVD readers then the humble CD-ROM.
    So having each hard drive set as master with the primary (The one with the OS on it) as a master on the primary IDe and the 2nd HD as master on the secondary IDE makes sense.
    The CD-RW can be a slave on either.
    I still think you are going to have a problem with a low power supply and would seriously consider upgrading it to 300 watts.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

jimbo101200

Whoozhe, I've fitted a 350 watt PSU but it's still pretty much the same, do you know the jumper settings for the CD/RW please (to make it the slave), there aren't any settings on my unit.

jimbo101200

Default success !!

Thanks very much for all your help (everybody) this is just an update...

I connected the 2nd. HD as MASTER on the secondary IDE with the CD/RW as slave.....1 min 15 sec to boot up from cold....1 min 50 sec to restart...boy am I happy . I think it was a good idea of yours Whoozhe, to upgrade the PSU, I know where to come for advice next time.
    Cheers, jimbo.

jimbo101200

Default oh sh**!

Just when I thought it was sorted...now I find that system restore won't work, I made master cd's when I got the system and now it doesn't seem to be able to read them (music cd's are fine) what the heck do I do now?, I was trying to uninstall Norton, just a reminder, it's Win ME.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast