fisherman

Default burning (or is it writing? im confused) a cd

im new here. hi. ok, so i just got this new computer, and we have an internal cd-rw. its a 52x24x52 samsung. i bought some empty cd-r's. and most of dem say 1x-24x. The other one says d-r80/32x. What do those things mean? Can i use those cds in my cd-rw? And one last thing, i can rewrite cd-rs right? thanks a lot

On the CR RW this a CD's that are rewritable . Your can recorderd 1-24 speed. They cost a 2-3.00 USD each.

CD-R can not be rewritten. the 80 stands for Minutes (Music). or approximately 700 MB of data. Again 32x is the max speed it can be written to.

Best bet and cheapest is to only buy the CD-r's, not the CD-RW. The last batch of 100 CD-R's I bought were on sale and after rebates ended up being free, except for sales tax.

One problem that you have with the CD RW is that if you want to copy music to them, they may not work in a Non PC CD Player.

Two sugguestions: Do not buy the really cheap, no label CDR, stick with name brands. Second set the record speed to less that the maximum/fastest. My 40x writer is set I think to 32x. This helps to insure that the writing is accurate/less errors.

Cheers

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Confusion reigns in all that is computing.
    Blank CDs are no different.
    Your CD-RW drive can read CD's at 52 speed, Burn CD-R at 52 speed and CD-RW at 24 speed.
    I assume you understand that CD-R are write once read as many times as the things lasts and CD-RW allow you to write to, erase and rewrite to the same CD for a number of times (Depending on the qulaity of the CD) and read till your eyes drop out.
    As for speed CD drive manufacturers tend to create drives at speeds for which there is no medium available.
    Sort of like a car capable of 200 MPH but no roads on which to drive that fast.
    Also the faster the spin speed the more chances of errors and a garbage bin full of failed attempts plus they are noisy, and with the exception of high priced drivers can damge themselves or other components in the system from vibration.
    At present the best bet is to stick to a lower speed and the commonly availble blanks. 32-40 speed CD-R and 12-24 CD-RW
    As for burning and writing both mean the same.
    You can adjust the burning speed via the burning software.
    Oh the difference in burning an audi cd at 32 and 52 speed is about 10 seconds.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I thought the following story that was in our local newspaper, concerning Recording CD's, was interesting.

http://www.dispatch.com/print_templa...602-01901.html

The above link will only be available for a couple of days, maybe until 2400 hours, EST 14 Jun03.

Cheers

Hello Basement Geek,

I read the newspaper article you linked to, with great interest, I have bought the best and the worst of CDs Until I bought some at a shop called Superpound, I am from the UK.

The disc's are 25 for £9.99p (with Holders)

The disc's work in every CD player I have tried them in, without a problem.

My advice would be - Find a disc that works for you, and stick with it.

Thanks again for the link.

Judda.

We must be related 'cause we look just alike! (Avatar)

I always have good luck with the name brands bought at my favorite office supply store. The off brands/no label/ discount shops dics are about as usefull as all the AOL disks I saved over the years.

Some day I will find a use for them! I heard that if you hang them by a string in your garden it will help keep the birds away. :lol:

Cheers

Ha ha ha,

I guess we do look alike......

Andy Capp is the name of the guy on the Avatar
    What does Avatar mean ???

I don't know if you Know who Andy Capp is, He is a character in the Daily Mirror, a local Merseyside newspaper,

He is Married to Flo, he is an ignorant, non helpful, gambling, beer swilling, snooker playing, non-stop smoking slob......... But everybody loves him.

I was forever drawing him on my school paperwork, (I am 63 now) and just about every other thing I could lay my hands on, I was so surprised when I saw him here.

Just to not upset anyone, In case they think we are just chatting here, Thanks again for the link )

Judda.