Default Swapping hard drives

I have purchased another hard drive which is larger than the one I boot off of. I am planning on installing Windows XP on the larger drive and formatting the small one for use as storage. Do I have to reset the jumpers on both hard drives. And if I screw up this installation, what brand of whiskey should I start drinking? HE HE HE. Currently I am set up on a 9 Gig HD operating Win 98SE 255 MB RAM PII @ 500Mhz

I too installed a second (Primary) hard drive about 2 weeks ago.

Yes to resetting the jumpers. I would make the bigger one Master and the second one a slave, unless your PC supports cable select.

Instead of me just using the smaller drive for storage, I pretty much left it alone, left the OP system on it and some important documents. This way If I ever have a HD failure, I can open the case and make the old the master again and be back up in a matter of minutes.

Cheers

Thanks, I'll give it a shot

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The only settings you need to change is the Master/Slave setting.
    The hard drive you intend on installing windows to should be set as master and connected to the primary IDE . The second drive as a slave on the same IDE.
    If you have a CD writer make that a master and move it to the seconday IDE. A DVD reader or CD-Rom as a slave on the secondary.
    Once done bottup with the XS CD and fdisk and format the c: (Main) drive and install windows.
    You can then reformat the second HD.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

YIKES !!!

It turns out that the 40 G hard drive i purchased was bad. to make a long story short, I had windows XP Installed, a new hard drive put in all for $150.00

OUCH !!

Boo :cry: If you already had the XP program, you spent way to much for a 40 gig HD.

Sorry about your luck, I hope is everything is working like you want.

Cheers