Thread: dial tone

Default dial tone

:cry:
    Here is my problem---

I can not get dial tone at my home when I get a call-out and have to dial in the retreive my job-----it will work fine at my work place , but not my home---

I have tried using different cords--(i use the same one that i have at work)
    and I have also went outside of my home and plugged directly into the local phone line---it says, "no dial tone"--

Then I can take it back to work and it works fine-----

My personaly computer and phones at my home work fine--its just my laptop---

My phone company at home and work or two differerent companies--

Could you please help me with this problem!!!

ps--I am dialing a 1-800 number for my job---
    I also have my local server on my laptop and it too can not get a dial-tone

Sounds like we need an expert from a phone company here, since we don't yet -I will take a shot.

The phone lines coming to my house have 4 wires: Black,Yellow,Red,green. On a single line, the ones used are red and green.

Try reversing the Red and Green wires and see if it then the modem detects a dial tone.

( Personal note- My telephone company said it does not make any difference- I am lead to believe that they just don't care and thats why my lines reversed. They do make telephone line checkers to check this and that how I found out. I switched mine on the outside box).

Cheers

Default tks--------

Thanks , I will give that a try---if it doesnt work---HELP!!!!!!

is it possible that the sockets inside and just outside your house dont quite match the jack from your laptop cable -- since you mentioned the phone cos at home & work are different.
    One easy check might be to take the PHone at home to your office and plug it in there! if it doesnt work, then youve found the prob. if it does, call the phone company at home. 8O
    Not to rust unburnished, but to shine in use - Tennyson

tks again for the info---
    the problem is that it used to work fine for a long time and then one day it decided not to work--

keeping the faith----------

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Am a little confused.
    Can you make normal phone calls?
    Does this only happen when using the laptop as a phone or are you referring to calling an 1800 number to connect to the net.
    If the latter ask the ISP if they have any restrictions on the 1800 access.
    If you cannt get a dial tone via the modem then check the lead you are using at home
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.