Default Windows ME boot problem

Hi all...

Our other computer is running Win ME... I moved it today (took the drive off the floor and put in on the desk...not very far at all) Now I can't seem to get it to boot up.

When I turn it on, it runs as normal, shows me the Win ME screen, then goes to what should be my desk top. All I see is the desktop color background, and it then gives me these three messages in this order:

Cmdninst
    Cmdninst has caused an error in KERNEL32.dll
    Cmdninst will now close

Stmgr
    Stmgr has caused an error in KERNEL32.dll
    Stmgr will now close

Stmgr has caused an error in WINTRUST.dll
    Stmgr will now close

Once I close these messages it just sits. No icons, start bar or anything comes up.

Now prior to moving it it would boot up and give me all my desktop icons and startbar, but I seill got the above messages.

I attempted to start in safemode, by pressing the ctrl key while its booting, but that's not working now either.

What needs to be done here????????

Thanks for any help you can give!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Here is part of a very long article I found that may possibly help
    Q. Every time I start my computer, I get these messages: "Stmgr has caused an error in WINTRUST.DLL" and "Stmgr has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL." This has been going on for several weeks and is very frustrating. How can I fix it?

A. This error is completely unique to Windows ME. The best way to fix it is to move on to a more stable operating system if you can justify it. Windows ME is highly unstable and unreliable.

Stmgr is a part of the System Restore feature of Windows ME. The problem does not appear to be uncommon. If upgrading your operating system is not an option, there is one more thing you can try. The most recommended fix I have seen for this problem is to re-register the WINTRUST.DLL file. To do this, open a DOS prompt by clicking Start then Run then typing "regsvr32 wintrust.dll" and then press Enter. After that click on OK at the next prompt. This may clear it up.
    We have had a lot of members with ME problems and as the article states upgrading (to XP) would be a wise move. Good luck

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Most of these can be fixed by a few updates.

Cmdninst has caused an error in KERNEL32.dll See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

With the Stmng problems try the following.
    Strmgr is a component of System Restore, and Wintrust is a component which creates and checks hash values and thus determines if a file has been modified or replaced. It could be that you performed an update on Windows ME and something got messed up. One thing that may need to be done is to register this DLL in your registry. You can do this through the use of the Regsvr32 command. Go to the Start Menu / Run and type "Command" to get your command prompt window. Then change directory to your "c:\Windows\System" directory and then run the following command:

Regsvr32 wintrust.dll

This may work.

Many of these problems also occur when the system was not shut down properly. My suggestion is to reinstall Windows. You do not have to reformat just reisnstall over the exitsing installation.

Altenately avoid all the ME mess and upgrade to XP
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Thank you for your help.

I have already attempted to do the microsoft fix:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

However the problem is, when I reboot, after the errors come up, it sits on what should be my desktop, but it's all blank. No Start Bar, icons or anything.

How do I get it to show my desktop?[/url]

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

This means the User account or its settings have been corrupted or lost.
    Even a bump can damage data on a drive.
    Looks like you are going to have to rebuild the user account.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.