Thread: Major Problems

Default Major Problems

I'm having trouble posting, or doing anything else, so I need to make this quick. I have a Western Digital 60 GB HD, and I have the utilities disk that came with it. I need to know something.

The utilities disk gives the option of writing zeros to the HD. Is there an advantage to this over simply doing a format using fdisk? I've already reformatted (yesterday) and was having troubles even before I got everything reinstalled. If it makes for a "cleaner" install to write the zeros first, I will take the time to do it.

BTW, yesterday I couldn't even post here. I managed to get one message in about someone else's computer, but then could post no more.

Thanks for any help (at least I can read....usually....I just have trouble posting). There are a bunch of other problems, also.....too many to post here. The least I'm looking at is reformatting again.....I just need to know about the zeros.

Regards....Riven08

I can't understand how you can have so many problems since you just reformated.

Are you using programs that you have copied off your PC ? If so, some of them are bad - corrupted.

Always best to load programs from manufactured disk or web site. Last resort is to us ones that have been copied, especially copied from a PC that has problems.

Next time just load the minimum programs= IE, a anti virus, fire wall and your email. Give this a few days to see how things are working. Then only load programs from factory disks and web sites.

Really not sure overwriting the HD with all "0" will do anything for you.

Cheers

Thanks basementgeek....I don't understand the problems, either. I know it's getting really discouraging. It's beginning to be like cars (I've always done my own car work and have commented that it seems like I used to spend more time under them than in them :P At least that seems to have resolved itself over the years...I now have a decent vehicle which runs good).

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts. I'll try what you said (minimal installs) and see how it goes. Actually, problems were starting while I was still installing basic stuff off factory disks, with one exception.....my sound card is one my son gave me (Philips PSC703), but he didn't have the disk. The drivers are downloaded from the net. I'm going to reformat again (in the next day or so) and watch, step-by-step, to see if and at what point problems start again.

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts on it.

Regards....Riven08

THought I'd let you know that things went much better this time. Everything installed correctly...no error messages. My best guess is that, for whatever reason, the first time something was not installed correctly from my Win98SE disk. That's the only thing I can figure. In any case, I did go ahead and put in IE6 SP1, and will do Windows Update the next time I'm online (out of time now).

Anyway, thanks for the assist

Regards....Riven08

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The writing over the HD with "0" is a utitlity designed to prepare a hard drive if you ever consider selling it or the system.
    Experts can extract information from a HD that has been formatted.
    The only time data is unrecoverable is if something else has been written to the same part of the drive where the file once resided.
    By writing 0s over the entire drive before formatting means the only data recoverable after even a format is a 0. This extra precaution is used users, such as Govt depts. who may have had some sensitive information on the drive that is either being disposed of or sold.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Thanks, Whoozhe That's good to know!

Regards....Riven08