Default computer still freezing after fresh reinstall of xp

i've just reinstalled xp on a pentium 4 machine after it was jammed full of spyware etc. the thing is even now after going through all that trouble when i restart the computer it freezes hard for anything up to 30 seconds and then finally starts to respond.
    this is not restricted to start up, sometimes when the computer has been running for a while it will freeze completely and when it finally starts responding again i open task manager and notice explorer.exe has cpu usage of 90%.
    the hardware should be up the the task with a 40gig hd, p4:1.8gig cpu and 512kb ram.
    like i say the system is newly installed after a full format of the hard disk and i have only installed office xp, regprot, avg and sygate firewall.
    any advice would be a great help.
    thanks

I assume this is a different machine than the one that was fixed on 25 May 04. That one was running Win 2000. This one is XP.

How exactly did you reinstall XP ? Reformat/fdisk or did you just run XP again ?

Cheers

yes basement this is a different system.
    the way i reinstalled xp was to change bios settings to boot from cd rom.
    in the installation wizard i deleted\recreated the partition and did a reformat using ntfs then worked through the setup promts as normal.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

XP is not the world's fastest system when booting up.
    An average boot up time is between 60-120 seconds, depending on what is installed and what periphials are connected.
    Disconnect from the net, strip out everything except Windows and see how it runs. If the problem persists then it is more likely you have a hardware problem.
    Memory is always the first problematic area to look at. The next is an overheating CPU followed by a damaged BIOS chip and/or motherboard.
    These sorts of problems are always the hardest to diagnose so the process is one of elimination.
    If the system works well at the bare essential level that add one thing at a time until you can indentify the problem.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

i did as instructed and uninstalled all software leaving just xp in place but explorer.exe still slowed the system down by consuming almost all of the 1.8gig p4 cpu. so i assume its a hardware fault. i have changed the memory stiicks for ones i know that are good but no change.
    also ive noticed the time on this system keeps resetting automatically, i seem to remember that being associated with some kind of overheating problem although i could have made that up all by myself.
    whooze do you think it would be worth a shot to change the bios chip?
    i suppose all thats left after that is getting a new motherboard

Hi Hardeep - Are you sure that cp USAGE is 90%? Sometimes this is misread and the 90% is what's available. Others have posted here occasionally re this. Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

I've just had a browse around and general opinion is a battery problem. This could cause the clock to keep resetting also duffy battery affects CMOS which would cause the crashes. Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The other possibility is a faulty or too small a power supply.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

thanks for your input fellas. galena the cpu usage is definatly 90% in use by explorer.exe and even if task manager didnt say so id know that some system resource was gettting overused as the computer doesnt respond for ages. a stop gap fix that works for half an hour or so is to terminate explorer.exe and then re-run it as a new task.

whooze ive just replaced the power supply on this computer with a new 250v supply so im pretty sure its not faulty (although i know it being is never a guarantee). possilbly the power rating may be too small, you tell me, its a p4 1.8 gig cpu, 512mb ram, 40 gig hd. i thought 250 would be ok.

as for the bios battery i do remember checking it with a mulit meter and gettting a good reading(i've forgotten the exact reading something like 8.5v).

as far as cooling the system goes the fan on the power supply is good, the one on the cpu is also working and the heat sink on the cpu doesnt show any visible damage or signs of overheating.

incedently where would i put another fan, what i mean is where would it be fixed inside the case, and i assume the fan needs an opening to extract the heat outside (o ive just noticed some ventilation holes at the side of the case).

i cant think of anything else i can tell you guys so you can solve this so ill wait for the next post.