Default 2 Windows Critical Update Questions

Hi....I installed IE6 SP1, and downloaded/installed all critical updates except two. I'd like to know a little more before I do install those.

1. DirX 9.0b End_User Runtime
    I have had two games I liked very much in the past quit working when I upgraded things on the computer. Right now, I only have a few I use, and those work well. Question is, am I taking a chance on them not working any more if I install this update? I don't do much gaming, but don't want to lose the couple I do use if they won't work with a newer version of DirectX (Myst III Exile, Riven, Fury3X...Fury is an old M$ game...and Diamond Mine).

2. Windows ShareLevel Password Update
    If I'm reading this right, this is only needed for networked computers, and not needed for a single home computer. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Regards....Riven08

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

As far as 1 is concerned, create a restore point and then download. If there are problems, you could always go back to that restore point. With regards to 2, my way of thinking is, if it's a small file it wouldn't (shouldn't) do any harm, and as I said above, use restore if it does. I play it safe and download most if not all critical updates, pick and choose the Windows updates and never the driver updates (I get these direct from manufacturer). Hope this helps

Thanks, Canuck Yes, it does help. As for driver updates, I already installed it (there was only one). Seemed to do OK.

I will do the restore point. As for the DX update, if it's not a security issue I'd just as soon pass. I have already downloaded about 12 MB in updates, and think I got all the critical ones. What bugs me about the DX d/l is that it says it cannot be removed once it is installed. So, I guess the restore point is the best answer.

Thanks again

Best.....Riven08

I thought you are using a 98SE system ?

Yeah, I'm using 98SE. I've heard that there is a way to do it, but maybe not (using fdisk, msdos, or something). In any case, I guess I'll go ahead and get the two updates. Then, I have them all. Anyhow, thanks for the thoughts.

Regards....Riven08