Default Windows XP Logon Problem

I was working on an XP Home Edition computer trying to set up the registry to use the ClassicLogon... I thought it would be easier to create a registry key on a disk and run that disk with the registry value in it.. the computer I used had a default domain specified in the registry (CPU_ROOM_16) and the computer I installed the key on is a different domain (CPU_ROOM_19) because XP home defines the domains as the computer name. I booted up to test it out and see if it worked before I went and did it on every other computer in the lab, and I got the classic logon screen as expected... just with no way to login. Is there any way I could gain entry to the registry or get back into the system to change the DefaultDomain value to the CPU_ROOM_19 like it should be?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Have you tried going into safe mode and doing a restore?

safe mode still wants me to login..

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You may be able to swap the changed registry with the old one using the XP CD's recovery Console.
    Generally XP keeps a bachup copy of the registry in the Windows/Repair folder and by using the recovery Console you can delete the existing registry and replace it with the saved one.
    See http://www.wintrouble.net/discus/mes...tml?1050505904
    for some extensive detail on just how to do this.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.