Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default question about Internet explorer

I recently installed the internet exlorer version 6 on my pc..since doing so I have been having some problems such as illegal operations with Iexplore...I was wondering if I should go into Add/remove programs and delete the first version I had...when I scroll down in add remove programs I have the following: Internet explorer Q831167 and outlook express Q837009, and I also have microsoft internet explorer 6SPI and internet tools, and outlook express 6.....should I be removing the internet explorer Q831167 and outlook express Q837009??? Any help would be appreciated

Hi dentalgal,
    I have these Internet Explorer updates on my add & Remove but it still works ok, maybe an idea to Repair Internet Explorer. cheers Jim.

HI

NO don't remove any of those....do as woodcock23 suggests first, and try a repair.

If you don't know how, just ask...

cheers

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

Ok I give up I don't know how to do a repair...PLEASE HELP???

Hi dentalgal
    Click on Add/Remove double click on Internet Explorer 6 and tools,then select repair and thats it I did not put this in at first in case I was telling you something you already know it was not intended as an 'ok I give up guessing game' I dont think anyone on this site has that sort of attitude, if the repair doesnt work help will arrive.
    I am pleased you asked this question as I wondered about removing these items myself, glad steam confirms not to. cheers Jim.

I went into add and remove and found internet explorer but where in the heck do I find "tools"??? I am sorry I am being such a dummy here but the only place I find tools is when I start internet explorer but it is not on the same page...anymore suggestions??

Hi Dentalgal - Tools is in the IE top umm Toolbar :wink:
    Hi Woodcock - Just followed your post and I can't find the repair option :?
    Any follow up appreciated. Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

There is no IE repair in XP. It only works in Win95/98/ME
    To repair IE in XP run the sfc /scannow command.
    Click Start > Run type "sfc /scannow" (without quotes and there is a space between c and /)
    You will need you XP cd handy.

Alternatively you can do the following. Backup the registry or create a restor Point 1st.

Launch REGEDIT from the Start menu's Run dialog and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}. In the right-hand pane, double-click on the DWORD value IsInstalled and change it from 1 to 0 (no matter whether you choose Decimal or Hexadecimal). Close REGEDIT and go to the Windows update site again. Now it should let you "update" IE and, with luck, fix the problems.

By the way, you can do the same thing if you need to repair Outlook Express, but at the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Quote Originally Posted by dentalgal
    I went into add and remove and found internet explorer but where in the heck do I find "tools"??? I am sorry I am being such a dummy here but the only place I find tools is when I start internet explorer but it is not on the same page...anymore suggestions??
    The item to click on was "microsoft internet explorer 6SPI and internet tools"
    Are you on W98 or something else?
    If you post your next reply and fill in the box "Enter information about your computer here" which is just below the message box, that helps a lot.
    whooze has posted about XP.

morning galena1
    Refer to post 8 from main man, XP dont have it 8) cheers Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast