Default new cd-rom not recognized

The cd-rom in my computer decided to quit opening, so I went and bought a new one. The brand is LiteOn and it says it is a 52x cd-rom.
    As far as I know, my old one was just a basic cd-rom. My problem is my computer does not recognize the new cd-rom. It will play music and the sound from games, but that is all. When I go into My Computer, the new cd-rom is not listed under devices with removable storage. Whenever I do a shutdown and then start back up, I get a message saying disc drive 0 is not there. ???????? I'm stumped as to what to do. Can anyone help me please?

Three things to check. First, double check your jumper settings. If the drive is on a cable with another device, make sure one is master and one is slave. If it is on a cable by itself, it should be master. Check the intruction manual for proper settings. Second, make sure the power cable is fully inserted. You may want to swap the plug with another device to be sure the plug is OK. Third, the original problem may have been a bad cable. If you have another IDE cable, swap it out. You can buy a new cable for a few bucks. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

I hope this is not related to your problem, but when a CD drive door refuses to open there is a manual way of fixing the problem.
    In from of the drive is a samll hole. Using a large paper clip push one end of the clip in the hale and gently apply pressure until the tray slides out.
    One out use a can of compressed air and bow it clean. A good idea is to also run a CD cleaner in it.
    This technique is also usefull when a CD is stuck in the drive.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.