Default Cleaning temporary files

I am in the process of cleaning temp files from;Docs&Settings\Name\local settings\temp and was going along fine until I struck a batch (54) of files
    headedPerfib Perfdata .WhenI went to delete a message comes up "these files are used by system applications & editing /modifying could damage your system'.I had a look in properties & all that it tells me is they are files of DAT type & open with unknown application.
    I want to know should I leave these alone & continue on with others.I guess they are not causing trouble or taking up much space.
    Regards Lester :lol:

Deleting Temp files should not cause any problems. You can always try deleting them in the safe mode.

Cheers

To Basementgeek, Hi this is Lester.
    Perhaps you misunderstood question.
    I am deleting temp files & storing in recycle bin for a short while & this is going along fine.These DAT files are among the temp files & issue warning when I try to delete/move. I have almost convinced myself not to touch them as they are not causing trouble or taking up much space. Thanks for effort & regards Lester :lol:

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi lester, have done some searching, I think you meant perflib not perfib. Perflib stands for Performance Library and Perfdata is of course Performance data (a .dat file). I could find no reason for them to be in Temp as I understand that they are used for restoring lost data if need be. As you say, they are so small, that leaving them in temp can do no harm nor take up space. Don't have a sleepless night over this :wink:

Hi this is Lester,
    During "cleaning"have come across 2 more folders which I don't recognise
    as follows: NAV(all I found out was it is Application extension),
    NPF -unable to find out anything.
    Would appreciate advice if anyone knows what they are & also can I delete them.
    Regards Lester

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi lester,

My reference table identifies NAV as belonging to Microsoft, but is unclear (or at least has to be confirmed) that it has to do with MSN Application Extension.

Also, NPF = New Pattern File Numbering Format is part of TrenMicro's programs. Check here to see which program of theirs you have, http://www.trendmicro.com/npf/en/default.asp , click on the program and it should show how this extension is used.

You can delete these, but keep them in recycle bin for a week or so to see if their absence creates any problems, if so, just restore the file and if not you're probably safe to delete them permanently.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The basics are if the file is in the temp folder then that is what it is, a temporary file.
    Some will not delete as they may be in use at the time. The best method is sort them in date order and delete anything a day or more old.
    As for some dat files especially index.dat files they are stubborn.
    There are some utitilities that will clean out the contents of those files, such as Window Washer.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

www.onealclan.com

Default perf data

The easiest way to get rid of Perf Data (performance data) is to dowload the freeware program Cleanup! (with exclamation point, google it.)

It cleans out all temp files and whenever you restart your computer it gets rid of all perfdata files also.

I use this daily and it's free. You can use my website as a link to get it (select "free and legal software" option at the home page.)

Robert Walker O'Neal, webmaster www.onealclan.com