Default Email Message Subject "None"

Twice, in the last 3 days, I've received an email message (Yahoo mail acct) which shows no sender, and the subject simply says "None" (no quotes). I saved it ("Save Target") and scanned w/AVG, and it came back clean. Is this a problem? Is there some kind of virus being spread with this email?

I'm watching for a message from an old friend who doesn't know much about computers, so I opened it to see if it was from him. The message was blank. If I made a mistake in opening it, is there anything in particular I should scan for in my system, or any other action I should take?

Thanks....Riven08

Any attachments on this e mail?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Here is an explanation I came across, it seems to make some sense
    The blank e-mail can be used as sort of a fishing tool.

Massive numbers of e-mails sent to non-existent addresses cost the sender money, especially if they're paying for Internet access by actual bandwidth used.

By sending blank, the messages are smaller, (if even only by a few bytes), over 10's of thousands of messages, bandwidth consumption is less, and it saves the spammer money.

and.....

By sending a blank e-mail to a large number of address combinations, the sender can then compare the number sent, to those returned as undeliverable, and be able to "fish" out the actual valid e-mail addresses, then compile those into a database for sale or distribution, or even personal use.

so the spammer is able to fish out a large number of valid e-mail addresses and minimize the cost to themselves this way.
    Stay tuned, others may have a better explanation

Thanks to both

Basementgeek, no....there were no attachments.

Canuck, that explanation does make sense. I can't see any other reason for sending blank emails. Luckily, this is my Yahoo account. Most of what I get there is spam, anyway. Usually, though, it goes to the Bulk folder, which I just keep deleting (I do check first, though, because one I want will occasionally reach the Bulk folder....the rest I just delete without opening). This is the address I use if I want to sign up for something....for just this reason (Spam).

Anyway, I won't worry about it, and will just move future ones to the Bulk folder. Meanwhile, thanks to this forum, I do have protection in place at all times.

Best....Riven08