Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default windows XP recovery console (Steam)

Hi Steam, I have another question for you. When booting up my computer we now get a black screen that says windows XP recovery console ????? do you know what this is. It only been on here recently. that I know of. it counts down and asks what system you want to run ant then it goes away and all is fine.
    thanks for you help.

Default new hijack this log 7/14/04

see other question / did not want to restore anything just wanted to know if I needed it.

Default recovery console/important

Hi Steam, I asked the techs at work about the recovery console coming up when I boot up my system. They said that means something major is wrong with my computer. I know that when I was cleaning everything out, that I got an error message that someone was trying to change my homepage and what did I want to do. I put in there that I wanted to continue to use yahoo. Hope you can help me with this. I looked in my windows XP for "dummies" which I am, I could not find anything to make the recovery console go away. I know its something major that I cant mess with. I just want to hide it or make it stop. I would appreciate your help as when I bought the computer a few months ago recovery console was not coming up at start-up.
    thanks again.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The "Recovery Console" is part of XP. Normally it is not installed but accessable from the XP Installation CD.
    If some system files have been damaged, deleted or corrupted then you can repair Windows from the Console.
    The console is in a similar environment as the old DOS, that is command line one but it is powerful.
    What I suggest is boot up with your XP CD and when the menu appears hit the "R" key on the keyboard. This will take you to the recovery console.
    You must have and know the Administrator password if it exists to use it.
    Chances are the boot.ini file is corrupted.
    This and other start up problems are covered at http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...c_str_yfol.asp
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default Please help

i called HP yesterday and they were not much help with this problem. first he said its a virus. then we tried to set my computer back to a prior time when this message was not coming up.
    My computer will not let me go back to a prior time. It just says it can not be set back. the tech said he is surprised my computer is working at all with this message coming up (recovery console). He also said that I called during the night and spoke to a tech in the India office saying that I could not get into the internet. He said he was trying to help me and we got disconnected. Same name as me and the same serial number. Now unless I sleep walk I did not talk to any of them then. This was the first time that I called HP. this scares me. He said if someone was trying to hijack my computer they would not call for help to get on the internet.
    So Im left with the same problem. and I cant figure out why I cant set my computer back. any suggestions. no one in my house called HP. its really weird.

Default cannot set computer back

I hope Im putting this in the right spot.
    I tried to set my computer back to a different time thinking that maybe I could make the recovery console go away. My computer wont let me set it back. I have tried several times and the message comes up that it cannot do it. I dont know why. help. I have used my anti virus progam to check for viruses and it found nothing.

If you have the system restored turned off there is nothing to go back to.

To check this out right click on "my PC" icon on your desk top.. Click on "Properties">System Resore. Make sure the box thats say Turn off Restore is NOT checked.

May try the system restore by booting in the Safe Mode.

If that does not work, try what "whooze" wrote.

As far a HP service having your PC info, they probably got it when your registered your PC on line after you bought it.

Cheers

HI

suej to get into safe mode use f8 key see this below

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...t_failsafe.asp

And if you look on the left side on same page see a dropdown list and look for [ How to run system restore in safe mode ]

Regards Stoney

Default recovery console update

Hopefully Hi, this is what I have done so far. Started in safe mode. still cannot restore computer.
    I have purchased norton anit virus and ran that. says no viruses.
    I did a c scan, disk cleanup and defrag. ran ad aware, hijack this,
    search and destroy and still can not get rid of recovery console coming on at startup. Hp said if recovery console is coming up at start up then my computer should not even work, my computer runs great except for the black page of recovery console coming up.
    there are a lot of articles telling you what the recovery console is but nothing about getting rid of it at startup. My computer is not set up for recovery console at start up so that rules that one out. Everyone here has been great trying to help. this page coming up is making me crazy but I willl have to learn to live with it as I cant think of anything else to try.
    thanks

Im putting this in the right place ?? :cry:
    Thank you Stoney for trying to help me.

Yes this is the right place

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast