Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GLB1A2B.EXE

Default GLB1A2B.EXE

Moderator's Note:
    Looking for information on GLB1A2B.EXE?
    Read our article:
    GLB1A2B.EXE : What is it and how do I remove it?

I have found the file glb1a2b.exe in my temp folder lately twice. One place on the net says that it is a combination worm and virus. Another place says that it is a copy of unwise.exe. I did a search here and found 1400 posts supposedly having it. I read some of the posts and didn't find it. It may have been in a hijack this log. I deleted it from temp folder and looked in recycle bin and found the other files from the temp folder, but not that one. I found instead a file called DC180.exe. Does anyone here know if glb1a2b.exe or dc180.exe have anything to do with a virus, worm or trojan horse?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

They probably are viruses, but to make sure, suggest you read and follow all instructions here http://www.help2go.com/postt8026.html. If you are unable to get rid of the problem, then post a HJT log to this thread.

It looks like there could be a legitament program with this name that is left after using an uninstaller program, but it has been hacked and changed to include a virus. Don't know which one you have. Info at these links.
    glb1a2b.exe
    This may be a virus:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=GL...x.co.nz&rnum=1
    or not:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=GL...hon.org&rnum=3

I have come across some suggestions that the file is included in a corrupt download of Ad-aware.
    http://www.download.com/3302-8022_4-...html?pn=1&fb=2
    Is that possible? Charlie

Default Ad-Aware

Looks like you nailed it Charlie. I uninstalled Ad-Aware, hoping that the problem was with an update. I then installed AAW using the .exe that I had saved. When I try to run it, it puts the GLB1a2b.exe in the temp folder (not immediately, but soon in the run). I liked Ad-Aware. I wonder if their is a safe site to obtain it from. Have you noticed that it seems to run faster lately? Thanks very much for your help.

Alex

There are some people here that are experts with Ad-aware. It seemed that all of the complaints were very recent, within the past week. Does anyone know if there is a problem with the current download of Ad-aware? Charlie

Default DownLoad.com

Just tried it twice from download.com. Both times same results. When I start running it, I get the glb1a2b.exe file in temp folder.
    Alex

I just booted up my old win 98 computer to use as a tester. I downloaded Adaware and installed. I have scanned the complete download with Norton anti virus and it comes up clean. I am also scanning my system with another spyware detector to see if anything else came along for the ride. That came up clean except for an alexa tollbar that slipped through somehow. I tried it on one of my XP machines and it seems to be clean. I do not have the glb1a2b file. Maybe there was a problem and it has been taken care of . Don't know what to tell you. Charlie

Default Another Try

I tried it from Snap and the first time nothing, ran it again and the Glb1a2b.exe file showed up. I hate to not use Adaware, since I have used it for years, had nothing like what those guys at that one site are quoting. The only thing that I get is the GLB file in temp. It seems that some time when I delete it, it changes names on the way to the recycle bin. Lately about all that adaware has found for me is data miner files. Anyway thanks for your patience and help. Guess I will wait until I find out that it is "clean" prior to reinstalling.

Thanks again,
    Alex

The glb1a2b file did show up after I ran Ad-aware, but it scans clean. No other problems. Perhaps we can get an answer from Ad-aware.

Just sent some time on the Ad-aware forum. there are several questions about glb1a2b. This one seems to sum it up best:

Posted: May 19 2004, 02:35 PM
    Quote Post

Group Icon

Group: Members
    Member No.: 49560

xyxthumbs.gif No worries,Silvano.

"GLB1A2B.EXE is sitting in your temp directory. The Wise uninstaller creates this, and except for the name it's identical to UNWISE.EXE. That's how they manage to
    delete UNWISE.EXE during a normal uninstall without a reboot (it can't
    delete itself because Windows won't let anyone delete an open file; instead
    UNWISE.EXE makes a renamed clone of itself in the temp directory, and spawns
    the clone at the end of the uninstall process to get rid of itself).

So, it seems that the file created by Ad-aware is harmless. Charlie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast