geetko

Default new computer has gone into "hybernation"

I have a new lap top and have McAffee virus/firewall programs on it - after doing a "system scan" for viruses and finding none, the desktop went blank and then the message of "Preparing tp Hybernate" appeared as the machine seemed to be rebooting. Then the whole screen went black and the machine just shut down. Now I can't get the damn thing to turn back on much less do anything with it. By the way, it has Windows XP on it
    Can anyone tell me how to get it operating again? My email address is:
    geetko@excite.com

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Turn your laptop off, then turn on again, as you turn on start tapping the f8 key. This should bring up a window asking about safe mode etc. Choose safe mode. When in safe mode , rt click on desk top and Display Properties Window will open. Select screen saver tab > click power button in Monitor Power section, >click Hibernate tab> uncheck Hibernate box>ok>ok. Shut down or restart windows in regular mode, hopefully this will solve the problem. If not, try restoring windows to a date before this problem happened. Good luck

Laptops will normally go into hibernation after a period of non-use to conserve battery power. It will also hibernate if the battery gets too low to prevent data loss. Plug it in and hit the start button, it should start right where you left off. You can change how long it will wait before going into hibernation. Click on "control panel","performance and maintenance", "power options". Your power scheme should be portable/laptop. You can then pick your time limits for standby and hibernation. It's all just a battery saving feature. Charlie