Night

Default Good 2 go or waste of money?

I personally have used Compaq computers for years, often they've earned a bad rep with me due to eager-to-make-sales people at places like CircuitCity. I ain't bashin' though.

I will be buying a computer soon and I found a compaq presario AMD 3200+, 200gb drive, 512mb, dvd+rw, the usual you expect these days, you know. The price tag ain't bad at $750. I intend on disablin' on board video and puttin' in a Radeon 9800 pro (i read nvidia is known for conflicting w/ amd processors), the sound is also onboard but i'm fairly sure it's the new intel surround as it claims to support up to 6 speaker configz though in time i'll likely replace this as well.

Ok, my question is, is this setup, w/ the radeon, a good gamin' rig? I Intend on playin' Doom III and Far Cry.

i was originally going to buy a sony Vaio w/ a 9800 pro, though that system had 1gig of ram (which i would upgrade to anyway) and a smaller 160gb drive; the price tag was also about 2x as much. The system seems a good deal.

Also, i was wondering if any of you could tell me if this model (Compaq SR1150NX) is using compaq original hardware or they finally wised up and started using atx spec moboz? i have an older presario which uses a riser card and it's crap to upgrade or fit into a standard atx case; not gonna happen. Well, anything ya'll can tell me i'd appreciate.

I am btw computer literate, very much so. I simply have not purchased anything nearly as powerful in years and so this is a major upgrade for me from my current system which is still a p2; i'll leave it at that.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The bottom line is Compaq is now made by HP. They use propietry parts making the system hard and expensive to upgrade. $ for $ they are overprices and underpowered compared with most generic brands.
    A good test is ask any independent retailer what he would pay for a brand new HP or Compaq, in the box, if you had one to sell. My guess would be around 25% of what you paid
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.