Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Biz

Default Backup ME Registry to disk (who,osc)

I am wanting to backup my entire Registry to a disk. Can you tell me how? Biz

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Biz,

Rather than get into a long description, I refer you to http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winme . If you have any additional questions please ask.

Biz

As per that site I clicked on "256419 How to Back Up the Registry in Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition". There step 2 reads "When you receive a prompt to back up the registry, click Yes". Will there be an option to backup to a disk there? The Registry is scarry, I don't want to make a mistake!

Biz, what will happen is that it will backup to c:/Windows\Sysbckup and appear as Rb0x.cab . This you can copy to disk as you would any file. Would suggest for clarity's sake, create a file called registry backup and put the file in that, then copy to disk. So the procedure if you're not sure, after following the instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 256419 , go to desktop or My Documents (where ever is convenient) create a new file (rt click New>folder .. and name it Registry Backup) then go to c:/Windows\Sysbckup and highlight Rb0x.cab , rt click copy and then paste it into the new Registry Backup file you just created. Then copy to disk.

Hope this explains. Don't be scared of this, all you're doing is creating a copy of the registry.

Biz

Could not locate "c:/Windows\Sysbckup and appear as Rb0x.cab", I could not find Sysbckup in the Windows list (?), but I located Sysbckup using Start>run and typing Sysbckup. The only option open to me to do anything with it was to "send" it to "My Documents" (left click on "file" did nothing so could not send it to my newly created folder). In "My Docs" Sysbckup was a hidden file so I then had to unhide it, but felt I was gaining ground (LOL) until I went to "send to D Drive". At that point a dialog box appeared that said "Access Denied". So Canuck what do I do now?

If you've followed MS instructions, there should be a file called Rb.cab , do a search for this (the O in Rb could be any number between 0-5, being the latest backup .. check date created) rt click on that file (if you find it) copy and then paste to your new folder. Much more I can't help as I'm using XP which is not quite the same. If you are still having problems let us know and I'm sure someone with ME will be able to help .. why don't you think about XP as an operating system :wink:

Biz

Followed MS instructions exactly. No Rb.cab nor did a search yield Rb.cab. In the Sysbckup file discussed above there is NT1003.SYS created Jan. 04, rb000 created 24 July '04 , rb001 created 25 July '04, rb002 created 25 July '04, rb004 created July 22 '04, rb005 created 23 July '04, and rbbad created July 20 '04. Note that rb001 & rb002 both created same day. (further confusion for me.) A bit more info; NT1003.SYS opens with "unknown application" and ask what I want to open it with, I have no idea so unable to tell you what it contains. All the others open with Internet Explorer and list the following five items; CLASSES,SYSTEM, system, USER,USER, and win. Does any of this info help you tell me which one(s) contains the entire Registry that I want to copy and paste to my new folder? If the answer is NT1003.SYS what should I select to open it with? What do I do if I get "Access denied" again? The reason I don't have XP is purely $$$$! LOL Biz

Biz, just can't figure this out. In XP (which is all I can relate to) it gives the opportunity to backup right to a cd. If you hold on, there are some members that can sort this out, I'm sure. Perhaps Whoozhe who is on Australian time can be of assistance.

Biz

I really appreciate your time and effort in trying to help me. I have learned much with your help, even if we didn't resolve the entire issue. Thanks again, you've been great. I'm sure one of the other moderaters will jump in. This has not been my first plead for help and Help2Go site has been a TREMENDOUS help to me! Peace, Biz

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

There are a number of commercial backup applications around One is Handy Backup wich has burning software included so you can back up data, Oulook stuff and the registry to a CD-RW.
    Have a look at this $30's worth at http://www.handybackup.com/
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast