Thread: IE problems

G

Default IE problems

I looked at that "do this before posting" page and tried to follow it, except that I have a problem with Internet Explorer and some of the steps didn't load at all. For instance, the Microsoft Update page never did anything. It stopped at the point where it says "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software..." Also, I had to change the Folder options in Windows because with Web Content on nothing showed up. I changed it to Windows Classic in order for the icons to appear. Windows Help also no longer works; all it says is "hcp://system/undefined is online. To view this content, you need to be connected to the internet." Normally, I'm able to fix problems like these myself, but without being able to go to the Selective Startup page, my options are limited. Other problems with IE are there too, like in Yahoo mail nothing happens when I click on the "compose" button. To fix this, I tried Hijack this, and got rid of everything that I know doesn't belong (and there were several). I also ran Spysweeper and Adaware, and they found a few things but didn't fix the problem. I do have Norton Antivirus on Autoprotect, but haven't had time to do a full scan. If it helps, I have no idea what my dad was doing at the time, but I found and deleted from the Windows folder about a dozen small prgrams and dll files that look like dialers and such. So, I restarted after doing all I could think of (aside from the full virus scan), and the good news is that the files I sent to the recycle bin didn't magically reappear; the bad news is that the problem is still there. It also seems like some IE settings have been changed -- it never used to say "trusted sites" in the bottom right corner of IE before, and now it does.

If anyone needs more info or details, please let me know. I'll be willing to share any info I can actually get to. Whose bright idea was it to integrate Windows and Internet Explorer anyway? Whatever happened to the glory days of Windows 95?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Thank Microsoft fot the intergration. An attempt to control the world.
    The bottom line is that you appear to have some major problems that may be fixable with a lot of work or you may be looking at biting the bullet and doing the radical thing, reformat/reinstall.
    The alternatinve is to use the XP Recovery Console.
    This can be accessed from the XP CD by booting up with the CD and when confronted with the menu pressing the "R" key on the keyboard.
    The recovery Console is a power house of Dos like commands that can repair numerous parts of XP without having to resort to reinstalling.
    As the commands are too numerous to write about here there are many tutorials online on the subject.
    So your alternatives are.
    Struggle to fix everything the conventional way. (move out of house to a quiet, sound proof environment)
    Reformat and reinstall ( As above but with a case of Bourban)
    Use the recovery Console. (relive the days of DOS)
    Take a holiday in the Highlands of New Guinea and forget about computers
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

G

Thanks for the help, but I already fixed the major problems. After I knew for sure that I cleared out all suspicious files and made sure they weren't starting up at startup, and the problem was still there, I just deleted Internet explorer and reinstalled it. That solved nearly everything.

What I'm still facing is the "trusted sites" in the corner of IE. I don't like it because a pop-up window came up at one point saying that on trusted sites other people can see what you're typing. And it says "trusted site" for everything except secure sites. I did go into IE Internet Options and changed the security level for trusted sites to be medium instead of low, and removed the only site that was listed there (an untrustworthy numbered site). I also made sure that the other security settings are at least at medium, but it still says that all sites are trusted sites at the bottom. So, I could use any help on this. Thanks.

By the way, I have Windows ME.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The trusted sites settings over rides other security settings. Mostly to allow cookies and pop up windows, which some sites used for logging in.
    The typing thing you are talking about is a flaw in IE that allows a key monitor to be activated, via a site, that can record your key strokes.
    Another reason I use Mozilla.
    A Hint. If you type in confidential information and want to be sure no one can follow your key strokes create a text file with the relavent information and then copy/paste it.
    I know do this for credit cards, name, adress etc.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

7thDigit

Default All sites are "trusted sites", solution

in the registry (regedit), the entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Internet Settings/ZoneMap/ProtocolDefaults/http should be set to 3 instead of 2.

Seasoft

Default Trusted Sites in IE

Many many thanks to contributor 7thDigit... I had same problem as in initial post, now gratefully fixed.