Thread: Dll Files

Default Dll Files

Hi,
    I have Windows XP Home Edition. Its a Dell computer, about 2 yrs old. I just bought and installed Norton Antivirus/Internet Security Professional Edition and installed it yesterday. It was working great except it would not connect to liveupdate. Well, I followed all the steps to try to fix that, from their website (which included installing another file--sorry I don't remember the name of the file) and it still didn't work. I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Now, my computer is working like it did, as when I installed the Norton (except not connecting to live update) but I have 2 error messages that keep popping up: 1-error loading winupd.dll and, 2-error loading wincore.dll.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

To remove these two adaware files I refer you to http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...W_TARGETSOFT.A . Suggest you use Trend Micro’s free online virus scanner and see if that will remove them for you. Please keep us posted on progress, if this doesn't work, there are other measures that can be taken.

It is the opinion of many on this site that Norton is not the greatest program out there, as there have been many cases of incompatibility among other problems. There are a number of free programs that can do a better job ... see http://www.help2go.com/topics.html and check out some of the topics.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

To: Canuck
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:28 am
    Subject: Dll Files
    Canuck,
    I tried what you suggested, with the Trendmicro virus scan, it found one small file, and deleted it. I am still getting the error messages as before "error loading winupd.dll" or "error loading wincore.dll" "the specific module can not be found.

Any more suggestions?
    Thanks
    Mlynn3476
    I have found the following manual removal of the the .dlls. Try this and and if no success let us know:
    Manual removal
    Please follow the instructions below if you would like to remove TargetSoft.winhost32 manually. Please notice that you must follow the instructions very carefully and delete everything that is mentioned. In most cases the removal will fail if one single item is not deleted. If TargetSoft.winhost32 remains on your system after stepping through the removal instructions, please double-check by stepping through them again.
    Delete the following file: %SystemDir%\winhost32.exe
    Note: %SystemDir% is a variable (?). By default, this is C:\Windows\System32
    Hope this helps

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Live update is a pain and caused major problems. Discipline your self to manually update the Dat files on a regular basis.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Hi

As for these error messages, the problem isn't the files (the're gone)

"error loading winupd.dll" or "error loading wincore.dll" "the specific module can not be found.

The problem is you still have run keys in the registry, which are telling windows to look for the non-existant files ... hence the error message.

The easiest way for you to delete these keys, would be for you to "fix" them with hijackthis ... then you don't need to go into the registry yourself.

cheers

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -