Default MSXML 4.0 SP2 SDK

Can someone give me a short answer as to why I need this? :?: :?: :?:
    Restless Lady

HI Take a look here
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

microsoft service pack , or did you mean you are having errors with this

Regards Stoney

If you use MSXML version 4, this is a security patch.
    MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2) is a complete replacement of MSXML 4.0 and MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 1 (SP1). MSXML 4.0 SP2 provides a number of security and bug fixes. For more information about MSXML 4.0 SP2 see the release notes.
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...SP_RelNote.htm

I downloaded the files...where should I open them? (program files or what?) This all started when I was trying to install Earthlink 2005 and I got this message:
    Earthlink TotalAccess Installer C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\TA_2005_1_INSTALLER\Windows\MSXML\msxml3.msi returned 1612
    I have never had that problem before (when installing a program) so I am lost.
    Restless Lady

Follow the link in my previous post.

craneadmin

Default Fix for MSXML problem

Ok people, I have a fix for this:

the problem is that Earthlink includes an msxml3 installer in their install package. For some reason, if your system doesn't like the fact that they reference their own installer it will choke.

Here's the fix:
    1)download microsoft's latest xml installer (4.0 at this writing), the file name is (was) msxml.msi. Run the installer, but KEEP THAT FILE HANDY because you'll need it in a sec.

2)Run the earthlink TotalAccess installer until it fails. note the directory it mentions...something like username/...localsettings/....temp/...windows/...msxml.../.
    You will need to know how to find this file path on the "fixed" install.
    *NOTE: these temporary files are deleted after each install, so once you cancel the installer they vanish.

3)Run your Earthlink installer. STOP at the screen where you choose your checkboxes for mailbox, etc. Don't do anything else. Now minimize that window.

4)Go to the directory you noted in step 2. Find the MSXML3.msi file and rename it MSXML3.msi.bak

5) copy the MSXML.msi file to that same location and name it MSXML3.msi

6)No maximize the earthlink installer window again and continue.
    You will probably see an error message that says something like "path to msxml.msi not found", you can click through it. Once the installer completes you'll need to reboot. After that you should be good to go.

Notes:
    I suspect that you could put any file in the directory in step 5 as long as it had the same name as the old file.

I've tested this on a Windows 2000 system and it worked perfectly. I suspect it will work on other variations of windows as well.

Good Luck!

Default Can't install msxml.msi because can't open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHIN

Quote Originally Posted by stoney
    HI Take a look here
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

microsoft service pack , or did you mean you are having errors with this

Regards Stoney
    I know the original post is 2 years old, but my problem is today.

Started with installation of HP printer software for Photosmart D7100. (computer is Dell Dimension 8200, os is XP)

Error message from that lead me to MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update. Downloaded 4 files as directed by HP on-line chat help (msxml.msi; msxml4msms.exe, msxmlcab.exe, msxmlsdk.exe).

Can't run msxml.msi to install other three files. Error message says: Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Msxml2.DOM Document.4.0\CLSID

For some time now I have been ignoring the inability of my Windows Automatic Updates to install MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB2927978) which was obviously a mistake.

HP on-line help asked my to look in the regedit for Printer files and there were none and they sent me to Microsoft who sent me to Dell who sent me to Microsoft....... :?: ..any help is appreciated. Thanks.