Default Totally Erase Hard Drive

Since this is unrelated to my other 2 posts, hopefully I'm right in starting a new topic

I need to know what utility to use to TOTALLY erase a hard drive (mbr, too). I want to end up with a drive with absolutely NOTHING on it. I want to start all over as if it was a new HD just purchased. Can I do that? Are there any free d/l programs which will do it? Thanks for any help.

Best.....Riven08

rickx

Default Its time consuming but worth it.

What you would want to do is called reformating your hard drive. There are many free programs that you can download to make this easier but you really don't need them. What you do need is a good tutorial with step by step instructions for your operating system. Just type in "reformat" in google and then click on the cyberwalker link. Go on down the page and it has detailed instructions for whatever OS you have.

Okay before you do anything you have to understand that you will lose everything. Backup your import files, drivers, etc. Make sure! that you have a copy of your operating system (you should) to reinstall on your clean hard. The reason I said this is because you do not want to have a computer with no operating system on it. It may sound stupid but it is surprising how many people who thought they had a copy cannot find it and then they have to go through more trouble.

I just recently did this to mine and it works great-much faster. Just make sure you have plenty of time and good luck.

rick-

HI riven long time no see. hope you are well

Found this http://www.killdisk.com/features.htm

and some user reviews about it below

http://www.sofotex.com/reviews/r4847.html

Also this in help2go http://www.help2go.com/article91.html

sounds scary to me

Regards stoney

Thanks Rick & Stoney.

Rick, thanks for the reply, but I have reformatted many, many times. A straight reformat will not work for what I need to do (I've done it 3 times and it's not working). I had a virus problem, and I'm convinced it is buried somewhere in the boot sector, or some other hard-to-find place. I need to COMPLETELY erase EVERYTHING down to absolutely nothing on the HD. That is why I worded my question the way I did. Hopefully, this will explain what I was asking

Stoney, thanks for the link. I'm going to try Killdisk. My option is to buy a new HD, which I may end up doing anyway. In any case, I have nothing to lose by trying this. If I can't get rid of EVERY trace of that virus, then I might as well go ahead with the new HD. If I have to do that, I'm seriously thinking about a new, faster processor & mobo, too. Still, I'd be satisfied if I can just get this one smoothed out. May take a few days, but I'll reply again when done to let you know what happened. If I can't get it working and need to replace the HD, CPU & Mobo, it may be a couple of weeks, but I will reply back. Anyway, thanks for the info, and good to hear from you again!!

Best....Riven08

I believe it is the fdisk command that erases the drive. Then you can format it.

Hi Riven08,

I have not heard of any virus/trojan/hijacker etc that can withstand a reformat but I could be wrong. In any case I would suggest using Dban. Dban is part of the free Eraser program. Download it from here:
    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php

Then follow the following instructions. Note Dban is a security tool that overwrites the entire hard drive many times over, and this takes a long time. Rough rule of thumb HD size in GB x 2 = time taken in hours. So a 20GB HD will take 40 hours, a 80GB HD will take 160 hours. HOWEVER for what you need only one overwritting pass will be enough. There is a simple onscreen graphic that shows the progress, simply power off after one pass which takes about the same amount of time as a reformat.

Instructions to make a Dban disc from Eraser program:

How do I Erase my entire hard drive(s) on my PC?
    Eraser uses the 'Darik's Boot and Nuke' disk option to erase all your hard drives.

To use this option:
    1. Place a floppy (or CD) in your a: drive.
    2. Click on the Start button and then choose Programs->Eraser->Create Boot Nuke Disk.
    3. Ensure 'Writing on Floppy' is ticked. Tick 'Formatting' if your floppy needs to be formatted.
    4. Click OK. Result: Your Boot Nuke Disk has now been created.
    5. Boot up your PC with the floppy still remaining in your a: drive.
    Remember: If you wish to erase the Hard Disk of another PC, then bring this Floppy to the PC, insert it into the a: drive and Boot it up.
    Result: All drives will now be erased (including the Operating System)
    IMPORTANT: USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION
    For a summary:
    'Darik's Boot and Nuke' ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot floppy that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.'