Default directsound prob w/ XP sp2

This started happening once I reinstalled XP Pro, and d/loaded sp2 Beta, I think.

I have the SoundBlaster Live! X-Gamer non 5.1

I checked the forums for the same problem, and it is the same error many had - 0x88780078 Bad directsound driver.

I went to Control Panel -> Sounds & Audio Devices -> Hardware -> Creative SB Live! (WDM) -> Properties, Driver Version was 5.1.2535.0

I got the LiveDrvUni-Pack from Creative but apparently my card has become legacy since all they seem to support now is Audigy cards. Whatever. After installing the Windows drivers only, Driver Version is now 5.12.2.252

AND NOW WinAmp, Windows Media Player 9 WORKS! But, the computer wants me to restart the system. Okay, so here goes...

After restart, SAME PROBLEM is BACK AGAIN! The Driver version has not changed, but it is still not taking after restart.

I run DXDIAG, go to the sounds tab, run the test and get back

DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver)

DirectX version is 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904).

SO now I am going to bed. Can anyone help me here? And NO, I don't want to reinstall Windows again as a fix. There has to be something really trivial to change which will help w/o reinstalling the driver every time!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I stand to be corrected here, but downloading the Beta sp2 could be the problem. Unless you are really computer savvy, never download a beta version of any program, that's why they are beta, they want folks to find the kinks and report back so they can make fixes.

umm.... yeah. That is correct. [argh]

Well, might as well let MS work on it then eh?

If anyone still has any ideas, feel free to post. It's annoying, but I guess if I load the drivers every time, I will at least have the functionality of my speakers (I do some sound editing).

I will possibly buy a new sound card, too, and post if I find that fixes it.

If Sp2 is anything like SP1, you may be able to unistall it, but that depends what options you were given when you installed it.

When SP2 is released I am going to wait a couple of months before I down load it. Going to be probably several problems.

Norton has already said that if you are running Norton AV, and SP2 you need to visit the Norton site for a fix.

Cheers