Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blitz_eee

Default URGENT Hardware Question

Hi there. Tonight my computer suddenly locked up for a moment and it was making weird noises in the CD-RW drive as well as the CD-RW flashing a red light at one point (which I had never seen)

In addition, the CPU light(the process light, not the CPU power light) is in a consistent "on" position where as usually it's almost always off or if it's opening a task or doing a search it will be really active.

I didn't know what was wrong, so I decided maybe it was just too dusty inside, so I took the computer apart and used some canned air to eliminate dust build up. When I put it back together, it ran perfectly, until just now when it started doing what it did before. (I'm writing this while it's freezing and unfreezing but that CPUlight is still stuck ON)

I haven't done anything out of the ordinary lately except burn a couple of music CDs in the past few days.

Please help me =( Thank you.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Chances are you have a faulty power supply and/or your CPU is overheating.
    My first thought would be to check the CPU fan. if, as you say, the system was dirty that fan may need replacing. I wouldnt wait either.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Remove the cover again and use a household fan to blow more air in to the case. If this does it, you will know that is either a fan problem or a location of the tower.

My PC desk has the back end of the desk, were my tower sets, cut out so I have good air flow.

Cheers

Blitz_eee

OK thanks alot folks, I will give this a try.

Also I'm thinking about purchasing a new computer, and I'm wondering how I can tell if my current harddrive will be compatible with this

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...121-206&depa=0

motherboard. Thanks for all your help.

Blitz_eee

OK. The fan has been completely cleaned as well as the entire inside. The computer is running fine for now, but I will post again if it freezes again.

Also I'm wondering if somehow someone has remote access to my computer, since the CD-RW drive seems to be either opening or making grinding noises or flashing a red light right before the computer freezes up.

My firewall is on, and of my last virus scan, no trojans were detected, and the computer is clean. I have 3GB of free HD space...and I don't know what else to write about. Thanks again folks.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

You have 3 gigs of HD out of how many? It is best to have at least 20% of HD free in order to keep things running smooth. The less you have, programs have a hard time working as they do take HD space to operate.

Blitz_eee

Cleaning the inside out didn't help, and I'm starting to think it's a power supply failure. I may post again for help with this. Thank you.

Blitz_eee

Is there any way for sure I can find out exactly what the problem is, or do I have to buy the parts and hope for the best?

You could take it to a computer shop and pay them to diagnose the problem, or you could replace the CPU fan first (maybe $20), then the power supply ($30 or so depending on wattage) if the cpu fan doesn't cure it. Even the computer shop is likely to take an educated guess at what's wrong.

Blitz_eee

Also, sometimes when it freezes and I have to restart, it will say 'Disk 1 Update Successfully: 57440MB' (or whatever the size is of my HD) and then restart again and go into Windows.

Thought I'd post that in case it made the problem more easily diagnosed.

:cry: :cry:

This sucks =(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast