ccr0816

Default 56k dial-up modem connecting at 28.8k

I have a 56k modem, but my dial-up connection speed always shows up at 28.8k. I emailed the manufacturer and they stated that most times this problem occurs because of phone line problems. I can see how this is true because the phone line I use is a "home-made add-on line" by a non professional. I was wondering how a wireless router/network works. Can it be connected to the original phone line in the house :?: and then how can it be connected to my computer to use for dial up :?:
    I'm not real computer savy, so please answer simply.
    I am running Windows XP if that helps.
    Thanks in advance.
    cc
    :?

Your connections speed is based on many things: Weather, condition of the local wiring, distance to "phone Co" number of people on that "circuit".

One thing that may help is to try a different number to your ISP.

I live in a city of 1 million plus and never connect faster than 28.8.

Cheers

I live in a much smaller city than Basement. My dial-up was rarely better than what you have. I decided to go down the broadband route and have never regretted it. Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

If you are connected to a extension phone lead the longer the lead the more resistance exists hence the slower the connction. A Modem will drop to a speed it considers give the best and most reliable connection. You can force it to connect faster but the error rate will raise significantly.
    As for routers they are mainly for ADSL and would not make any difference to connenction speed.
    Have your phone company check you line condition for noise and other possible causes.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.