Default re-format? cant access cd-rom, what do I do?

I want to re-format my pc and re-load my os but when I try to open cd-rom it just stalls in a blank window. I can close the window and it repeats same every time even after re-boot. I just want to clean the hard drives and start over clean. Can I do this with out a cd-rom to install the os, then once the drives are fomatted can I re-install xp via cd-rom? PLEASE HELP.
    paulnhell

Does your computer still boot into windows OK? If it does, check your device manager to see if your CD drive is listed with a yellow exclamation point. You can try uninstalling it. Reboot and see if your computer sees it as new hardware and reinstalls necessary drivers. If that doesn't work, you can try actually physically disconnecting the IDE cable and power plug, reboot, shut down, then hook up CD drive again and reboot. If you can get XP to recognize it, it should load drivers automatically. The installation disk will provide drivers for the install, but you want to be sure the cd drive is working OK first, you need it to read the XP disk for install.

thanks, trying that now, will let you know if it works

ok i have the rom access, but the installer is telling me my key code is invalid. It is the same disk and code I installed originally will that not allow me to reinstall the same os over the previous install?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Since your first install of XP, have you made some changes to your hardware? If so, you will have to get intouch with Microsoft and tell them that this is what has happened, they will give you another code number. Or has your XP CD been used by someone else to load up their computer? Stay tuned for others input.

Does it give you a Microsoft phone number? Call that number and give them the case number (should have also been given to you when denied installation). They will ask you if it is the only computer that that copy of XP is installed on. If the answer is yes, they will give you a 54 digit unlock code. It is best to be at that point of the install so that you can type it in when it is given to you, That way if it doesn't work, you don't need to call back. I had to do that when I reformatted with XP Pro.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Can you boot to the CD?
    If not you will need to access the BIOS setting and make sure that the boot sequence allows booting from the CD drive.
    The most common sequence is A: drive first. D: (CD Drive) Second and C: (hard Drive) last.
    To access the CMOS settings for the BIOS consult your motherboard/pc documentation
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.