Default Windows says C:/windows is missing or corrupted

So i was having problems with windows and thought a clean install was needed. i looked through the articles of help2go and found one about taking steps before a full install. i took the step of using the Repair installation. after it was done i rebooted the install screen of windows came up. I wasn't using my original cd since it was damaged. so then windows asked for the cdkey which i didn't have. we just moved so that's somewhere in the packaging. if i knew i needed it i would of dug within my boxes >.<!! anyhow, i left the computer off while i looked without success. i still had my old 4gig hard drive so i thought of using it while i look since i'm bored and miss doing things online. i make the switch mess around a bit but i then found my key! so i go back to the old HD and boot up. so now windows reports that c:/windows/system32(or something like that) is missing or corrupted. it then said i should boot up with the cd and use the recovery console to fix it or something? i tried but i dont know to do honestly.
    did the switching from HDs have something to do with this or what do you all think? i tried getting back into the repair installation but no good. i did exactly what the "How To Repair XP and Avoid a Full Reinstall" article said to get there but it won't let me. I press r at the windows partition selction screen but no good. : / any ideas and what not?
    Thanks in advance

I would do the repair install again. Make sure the computer is set to boot from CD. You should be able to get into the BIOS to change the boot order by hitting the delete key durung the boot process (some computers are different). When it boots from the CD, the first option you get is to hit R for recovery console. YOU DO NOT WANT THAT. Hit the option for install. On the next screen you will get the option to enter R for a repair installation, that is what you want. If you don't get the option for REPAIR, don't continue, a new installation will erase your data. A repair leaves everything alone and just replaces the OS. It was very poor planning by Microsoft to use the R key for both operations, it causes alot of confusion. Charlie

that's what started this whole mess. i already did repair install and now after i switched from the hard drive i used that on to a different one. i came back to that corrupt/missing thing. i booted up from the windows cd and tried to get the repair installation to work its magic. i press enter to get to the license crap, then f8 to get passed that, then at the screen it shows some partition info or some crap. i press and R and nothing hapens. it only says to install or quit so i quit. i also used chkdisk in recovery console but no help from that crap. took(edit)forever too. excuse my french =P. thanks for the assistance thought grim

The problem may be due to the fact that you are using a different CD than the original installation. I will have to yield to others, the repair install always worked for me, but I was using the original CD. Perhaps Whozhe can jump in on this, but he is in Australia, so the time difference is great.

sorry about the language

i hope so but i doubt it too if he's all the way over there : /. thanks for helping tho grim