Default Programs will not stay running

I have something on my computer that will not allow my programs to run properly. Whether it's my Winamp, Mp3 converter, video player. It will run for 30 seconds then a window comes up saying the following prgram will be shutting down. Also, my computer will not allow me to defrag. I will start it and after 10 minutes or so, the whole computer shuts down. Please help.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Sounds like it could be a virus. To rule this out, suggest you read this http://www.help2go.com/postt8026.html . Follow all instructions 1 - 4 and see if this corrects the problem, if not, post a hjt log to this thread. Remember to download HJT to its own folder eg c:/HJT.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The question is do other non media programs run ok?
    If not then either your resources are being used up, memory is failing, you have run out of Hard Drive space or the CPU is overheating.
    Resources can be gobbled up by having too many programs running at once, particularly those that run in the background. Spyware and adware can be resposible so download and run Adaware.
    Memory will need to be checked by a technician.
    20% of the hard drive should always be free.
    With overheating most causes of that is dust and moisture.
    One more possibility is having your email client set to check for email and shutdown the system after it downloads.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.