Default Unable to update

Howdy folk, Thanks for your time in advance

I have a computer assembled from dumpster throwaways, that I've managed to get and install, win 2000 pro in. I have used it off line for quite some time , and now have it temporarily on-line.

Since i got it online, I have been trying to update, first my anti-virus, next internet explorer, and the os and register some programs.

But holiest of cows, if I don't keep getting a message about proxy when I try to upgrade from the net.

I am connected thru DSL and a dsl router which I have been assured is not the problem.

When I try to upgrade through the applications such as avg antivirus etc. I get a message saying that the internet connection can't be opened, and I should establish a connection eg: open a browser instance.

The problem is I had not one but two different browsers open one of the times I got the message.

When I tried to try copernic search robot, while I am already on the internet it also gives message saying 'hey stupid you have too be connected to the internet to use me' even though as I've said I was on the net at the time.

Yeah, I paraphrased the messages, and I've not only gone over all of the security and browser settings, I've also finally result to defaults, skimmed through registry with regedit, and more. I am about to do a restart with nothing loaded to see if any of the exremely too many programs I've downloaded into an mp3 player and them to my computer are causing the problems due to its' settings.

Programs I not only have IIS. but active perl, php, .net sdk, etc.
    I have the computer set up for developing applications under different languages, and am also looking over a lot of different internet applications
    in preperation for a website with very select downloads. and info

I might be homeless but I am not stupid, Yet neither I, nor a very good IT friend of mine can figure it out, unless it gets narrowed down when I do a minimum restart

Sorry for being windy but my mind is spoinning from all the use it has been getting trying to figure this out

"America, Love it, or make it better"
    ely

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Your set up is probably wrong and you are not connected to the net at all even though it may appear that you are.
    have you accessed the nic.
    Usually this is done by browsing to 192.168.0.1 See you documentation for the exact address. It can differ.
    Contact your ISP for the configuration details.
    They may suggest using a different protocol. eg PPPoA
    Also you may need to update the modem's firmware. Many ISPs make alterations to meet later requirements.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Thanks so very much for your try. I wonder though if you can explain how I managed to post 'unable to upgrade' without being on the internet, as I was using the same machine.

I took my machine back off line about 3:00 in the morning after making the original post. and am now on an 'me' machine with general home and office software. (boring)

I did do extensive searching using 'BigMomma' and have a collection of possible sollutions. there is one in particular I think is the answer, It involves deleting a particularlar key. I don't have the info available on this computer, but I will report what I did to fix the problem, if indeed I do fix it.

It may be awhile before I have mine back online to try it again though, as I have a heavy work load building up (I voluntarily do full time, html and and other computer related work, for NucNews.net and occasionally other orgs)

As I said thank you for your try.

"America, Love it or make it better"