Default Removing Icons from desk top.

Hello again. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the majority of Icons clogging up my desktop? I do use the relevant progs, but I can't see the photo's I use as wallpaper because of Icons.
    I did try changing the desktop view to that of a webpage, ticking the appropriate box to make Icons vanish, but they all vanished and I wanted certain ones to remain. By the way, the OS is Windows 98SE.
    Thanks again. paulo.

HI
    If you put mouse pointer on the icon, then right click on mouse, then box pops up, and click on delete.

Regards Stoney

Are this icons ones that you put there or are they ones that just appeared ?

Cheers

Hi

Right click the desktop ... create "new folder"

Drag and drop all the icons you use infrequently into it ... you then still have them, but out of site.

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

These icons are ones that came when I installed things like Adaware, Spywareblaster, AVG etc. I did right click and delete one just to try, but the prog didn't run properly then. It's my own fault because I sometimes install so quickly, I forget to read the part that asks if I want icons.
    Will now try the new folder bit. cheers.paulo.

Mission Accomplished!! The new folder, drag and drop thing worked slendidly. Thankyou to everyone involved in tidying up my screen.paulo. [/quote]

HI
    If you have not emptied recycle bin, if you open recycle bin you should find the icon you deleted in there, to get it back, just right click on icon you want and click on restore, it will go back to desktop, if you have emptied bin[ find the program you want short cut back ]and right click on it and then click on create shortcut it will put it back on desktop

Steams idea was Brilliant i have done it myself now. thanks steam

Regards Stoney

Hi

You're welcome guys

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

Thanks stoney but I send stuff to incinerator, as opposed to recycle, and...once it's gone, it's gone!
    Thanks again to Steam and other adisors, Steams way was brilliantly simple, but effective. paulo.