Default Converting hard drive from Fat32 to NTFS

A friend of mine has just bought a new system with Windows XP Home Edition pre-installed. Unfortunately he was not supplied with a full retail copy of Windows XP only a back-up system disk.

It is his first computer since Windows 3.1 & is quite lost, so I have been assisting him on a few things.

Anyhow, he has the system set up with different user accounts, as far as I know all have admin status. But sometimes when he installs a program using his account he has noticed that the system sometimes sucessively re-boots a couple of times before going to the welcome screen so he can log onto his user account.

I have asked him to keep a note of what he was doing prior to this happening etc to see if there is a pattern. I am by no means an expert but I usually have a good idea what the problem might be. And also know enough anout computers to understand when it is something over my head.... an exmple being the posting of this message.

When I looked at the disk I noticed that it was formated as FAT32 not NTFS which somewhat surprised me. I can't remember the size of the hard drive but I am sure it is a lot bigger than mine which is 20gig.

I do have XP home addition myself and when my system first arrived it was formatted to NTFS and I've had call to re-format my hard drive and was lead to beloeve NTFS was the advisable option.

Reading through Windows Help & Support I noticed that is the format they also advise so my question is:

Could this be something to do with the problem, as far as I understand NTFS is better & more secure than FAT or FAT32. Is it possible to convert my friends drive to NTFS without having to completely re-format the drive from stratch?

You can convert from FAT32 to NTFS without losing data. Click on START, then RUN. In the window type cmd then hit enter. That will open a command window. Type thie following line and hit enter
    C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Actually the C:\> should already be there. C is the letter of the drive you want to convert, so if it isn't drive C, just use the correct letter.