Default Question about Modems

I need help again. I was asked to install a modem in a friends computer. I installed the first one and even though windows said it installed successfully, no progams can detect it or use it. So i took that one back and got another. Same thing happened. I called US Robotics for help with the second and he told me the Modem was bad and to take it back too. Soooooooo, i got another one...same brand, brand new and tried to install it and got the same message. If i query the modem in control panel it says that windows can't detect the modem evn though it has it listed and that it's possible the interrupt is set wrong. I've gone through everything us robotics reccommends and i'm stumped. I've tried to manually load the software, tried letting it load via auto-run and nothing works. I even uninstalled and reinstalled. I've also talked to 3 computer "experts" including USR's tech support. No one has any other ideas.

SOOOOOOOOO, my question is this.......is there something about USR products that conflict with Acer computers? Is there a USR/ Windows 98Conflict that i can't seem to find info on? Three brand new modems from two different places can't be messed up....there has to be an answer.

Anyone???

Confuzzled and frazzled

Default RE: Question About Modems

I have had my share of modem install problems in the past. Did you check Device Manager to see if it told you if there is a problem with the modem and its driver? You can reinstall driver from here, too. Go to My Computer icon, right-click and choose Properties>Device manager tab. Select at top, View device by connection. On Win98SE mine shows 'Serial cable on COM 2' and my modem, a Sportster 2800-33600 Internal modem installed ( don't use it as I have a cable modem now). Select Serial cable on COM 2>Properties, check to see device status. Click Modem tab and make sure correct port is showing. You can also check other properties from this window and correct as needed. Usually they are ok. If your modem is listed in Device Manager, choose it and select properties. Should show correct port settings here too. From this window you can adjust settings for your modem in more detail. I have only changed modem speed as all the rest were ok. From Control Panel>Modem>Dialing Properties, I would make sure this info is correct too. I had problems with AOL, PeoplePc, etc., dialing out because I did not have the "I am dialing from:" information entered. I would not use default info unless it is correct for your location. If you have made a lot of changes up to this point, I would reboot before doing the modem Diagnostic test. More info about conflicts, etc can be found in Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information. Expand Hardware Resources menu and select whatever you need. From the expanded Components menu you will find more info about modem, problem devices, etc. Be sure to check out the Tools menu at the top for whatever you need to help you. There is a wealth of info here :!: Sure hope this helps.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

If you really want my advice return the modem for a refund.
    Avoid any internal modem.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

If you want to go with an internal modem, I would try another brand. It is possible that there is nothing wrong with the modems and nothing wrong with your computer, they just don't work together.