Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I have a problem...

Hi

I have a problem....

While at Help2go earlier tonight, I lost control of my computer, the mouse was moving aroud eratically, opening files\folders and moving things around. Also the keyboard was no use....All I could do was Ctrl-Alt-Del....which started to shutdown, and left me with a black screen, and the fans still running. I switched off with the power button.

When I switched on again, the screen stayed black, the fans started, the green power light stayed solid green (which it should) but also the orange disk activety light stayed solid (instead of flashing)

I switched off again, and pulled the plug from the wall, gave everything 10 minutes to settle down....then when I switched on at the wall again, the fans immediately started...NO bleep, solid orange light, black screen....it's as though the computer was starting up in standby (but I can't get out of it)

I do not believe a trojan\virus\malware are to blame.

I have spent the last couple of hours, stripping it down and checking all connections, switching it on and off about 50 times (with no change).... then all of a sudden ...it worked...

All my reference files and links etc, are on that computer, so I started backing everything up to cd's

Half way through the first cd, with me just sat back watching...it reboots ... so that cd is now a coaster with my coffee on it.

I'm sure this is hardware related, a cable or even the m\b ... it's been ok now for half an hour, but I don't know what will happen when I turn it off.... my main priority now is to get everything backed up.

I am posting this to let everyone know why I am not answering logs....if all goes well I'll be back tomorrow night, but if I don't log on for a while... you know why... I may end up having to get a new computer

cheers

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

Aaaaaaaggggghhhhhh :roll: Hope you get things sorted OK Steam, at NO cost at all.Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Steam, I wonder if this may be a possibility http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...id,4075,00.asp ? Hope you get up and running soon :cry:

Perhaps it is simply overworked. Seriously, sounds like it could be cable, short, or overheating problem. Good luck, Charlie

Same thing happened to me when I lost a HHD a month or so ago. No weird noise, no warning, just kabloop!
    Good luck!
    A good horse, strong woman and my .30-.30 rifle. Not much more a man needs. (well, except a computer that is!!)

Zoiegirl

Default Go Steam!

STEAM!

Good luck getting everything back on line I know you will! You are truly a whiz! Go Steam, you can do it, Go Steam ::dancing a jig::

-- random poster on the forum - you guys are all awesome and were a livesaver - computersaver - when I found this site 6 months ago!

Devoted Fan!
    Zoiegirl

If you are a devoted fan why have you not become a Devoted Member :?:

Cheers

Hope you are soon up and running, if i win the lotto tonight, i will buy you a new one.
    Regards Stoney

Hi

Still having problems I'm afraid....

Good news is I got all my data backed up last night ... powered up this morning and lost control after about 2 minutes (guess that rules out heat)

Had to work today, but one of my daughters tried 3 times during the day and the same thing happened to her each time.

Removed all cables and replaced them, took the side of again, and this time it ran for about 30 minutes before failing...

checked all internal connections again, IDE etc, can't find anything, must say everything points to a part on the motherboard failing.

Well the computer is 6 years old, All I've had to do with it in that time is install a re-write drive, then replace it after a couple of years.

It's just gone psycotic again.... but this time I've managed to recover it....HOW ? read on....

A couple of years ago I got a Wacom Graphire tablet with cordless mouse (USB) I had it set up for the kids but they never used it.

I left it installed but unticked it in msconfig....

I reticked it, and this time when the mouse went berserk, I put the usb mouse on the pad and was able to control it, If I touch the ps/2 mouse I lose control, but if I don't then I have full control with the usb mouse.

I can't believe this will turn out to be a duff mouse, the symptoms I got yesterday were indicative of something far worse.

I am using a different ps/2 mouse now, and we'll see how long it goes....

There are so many logs, i don't know where to start .... it will just have to be pot luck I'm afraid...

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

Sounds like a hard drive problem to me maybe a bad cable too !

Cheapest thing to do is go get a $20 cable set replace the main cables , If that don't work I would check into a new Western Digital Hard Drive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast