Default Different download speeds from same user

I have a question that I hope someone in here can answer. I have 2 computers running ss at the same time #1 is amd athlon 2083MHz with 512 ram xp home sp2 and #2 is Intel Pentium 3 600MHz with 256 ram xp pro sp2
    I am helping a friend by downloading his whole music collection and I found that on computer 1 the downloads are running at .5 – 9 kbs on the average on computer 2 the average is 45 kbs
    Both of my computers are connected through a router and I have a cable connection. I figured the new computer would download much faster but it seems to be much slower. I have tested both for speed at pcpitstop and both measured the same 757 dn and 367 up.
    Notes: I shut down one computer at a time to see if that would make a difference, also rebooted both .I also run spybot and ad aware and I checked both of my hijack this logs and found nothing
    And heres hoping someone in here can shed some light on this.any questions please ask
    also the setting are the same for both machines
    ss is a p2p program that I use to move files from one computer to the other
    My friend is formatting his drive and wants to save his music first he lives in canada I'm in the states
    Edit both are running 154 test 5b if you know what ss is :wink:

The slow one may have its XP firewall enabled. If your router provides an adequate firewall, you can disable the XP firewall by going to My network places, view netork connections. Right click on the connection that is used, then click on advanced and disable firewall. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator

Could be the handshaking process also. If computer 2 is connecting to computer 1 then the connection could be faster. It's the client that determines what speed to connect to a server at. Client says hey, i'm Client, my max speed is 256kb, server says well, my max speed is 128kb, Client then says, well then how about 120kb? Server says, I agree! SO maybe you could try and connect differently. Also, might want to check what kind of software your friends computer is running. I.E. lots of software accessing the internet slowing down connection. Also, he/she may have spyware running in the background also. There could be a NUMBER of things that could be different as to why the computers are downloading at different speeds. Also, have to think about process priority on both computers.

Partie™

Thanks for the quick replys. I have shutdown both my winxp firewall and my Norton 2003. I haven't noted any difference yet and that was a few hours ago. I am running Netstat live on both computers and this one the amd atholon has downloaded 232mb in the same amount of time the intel 3 has downloaded 1.6gb.
    Partie I wasn't sure if I understood everything correctly but I wanted to make sure you knew that I have the two computers both connected to my linksys router and the computer that I am downloading from is connected direct to his cable modem. Also when I pinged his ip both did so with the same results very fast
    Again thanks and I'm still trying to get this new expensive
    hp pavillion320n working better than my old machine

Member Help2Go Moderator

So wait, are these computers connected on a LAN or via the internet??? If they are connected via a LAN why are you going through 3rd party software? Just create a network. It's less process time anyways...just a thought.

partie™

2 at my house on lan connecting to a computer in canada via internet

Member Help2Go Moderator

Now i get it. I could only assume it's the handshake process between Client and Server from PC1 to your mates PC. Either that or other things running in the background on PC1.

Partie™