Default Spybot Search & Destroy Message

After running spybot this afternoon, I received a message that says an important registry entry has been changed. Category: ActiveX distribution unit, and Change: Value deleted.
    Entry: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07B.......the number continues, but goes off the screen.
    I have the choice to "Allow change" and/with "remember this decision". Trying to close the window without making this choice doesn't work; the window stays open.
    As I can't find any information on the Spybot site or in the tutorial, etc., I hope you can tell me what this message means, and if it's okay to make the choices so the window will close. As always, Thank You soooo much !
    xoxo
    Atlante
    About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.
    ~ Rita Mae Brown ~
    (1944-, American Writer)

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Just impossible to recognize the problem apart from what Spybot says which is a registry entry has changed.
    This may or may not be anything bad. You could download and run Adaware (I keep and run both) It may find something S&D is missing.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Yes. I have Adaware ....and also run both. Thanks, will run it and see what happens. :?
    About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.
    ~ Rita Mae Brown ~
    (1944-, American Writer)

Nope ....Adaware came up with zero items ... *sigh*
    ~ Rita Mae Brown ~
    (1944-, American Writer)

I would say an entry that goes off the the screen is something you always say no to. I don't think any legitimate entry will be that long.

Cheers

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Try rt clicking and printing in horizontal format, you may get the complete message, or copy and paste to wordpad may do it.

Hi

This is the CLSID of a program (class ID) and is missing just one digit...

{1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07B?}

There is no legitimate program which uses this :-

1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07B

Or a malware program for that matter ... it is obviously a randon CLSID, a technique which is used all the time by malware.

As it says "Value deleted" I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

If you are concerned ... post a hijackthis log.

cheers

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

Default I deleted it on purpose

Hi,

I was clearing out some files when I went to right click Start, Explore, Windows, Downloaded Program Files. And there was this activex control, which I deleted.

It was after that that I got

"Denied value "{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}" (new data: "") added in ActiveX Distribution Unit!" [this is also in the log file of Spybot]

All I want to know is whether I deleted something I need (I use Firefox) and if so, how to get it back. System restore is a no-go as I don't have a restore point previous to the incident.

D