Default Laptop powers off when I close the lid

I have a IBM R32 laptop running Windows 2000. In the Display properties, Hibernate is not selected, Standby is selected for action taken "when I close my lid" . It is not running on battery.
    The problem is ,when I leave my lid closed for several hours and then open it, the system is turned off. My co worker can leave his closed for days to weeks and it will not go into hibernation or power off. He can open his lid and it will go straight to the windows sign on screen. Mine will go to the sign on screen only if I try within around an hour or so. But after long periods (four or five hours) it will shut down.

Help please
    Rick

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I wouldn't recommend leaving a laptop on continuously in any event. Whether they are running on battery or plug they create quite alot of heat and problems are sure to follow. Your friend is really pushing it, even though your laptop turns off, it is far better.

I agree with Canuck. You may see it as an annoyance, but your laptop is only protecting itself. Computers are like cars, if you drive them hard, you will have problems. Charlie